Fuzz vs. Overdrive??? Just Different Name???

• Members

I'd love to help you out, but I don't have time to find the quintessential overdrive or fuzz clips rights now. Look up "guitar effects" on wikipedia and you'll get a basic explanation of most of the terms.

Overdrive is not meant as heavy distortion on its own, its meant to push a tube amp into distortion. By themselves, most overdrives don't distort your signal to a major degree.

Fuzz is square wave clipping at its finest. It makes your guitar sound really distorted all on its own.

• Members

I'd love to help you out, but I don't have time to find the quintessential overdrive or fuzz clips rights now.

Actually, on second thought, here's the quintessential

Maybe someone else will help you out with overdrive (it's a bit harder because overdrive isn't as much an overt effect, but one that works more with the other components of a rig)

• Members

Well Right now i use my fulltone overdrive at a low gain setting on top of my Framus Dragon's distortion which works out great, sounds like a monster, and has lots of sustain. I was just not sure the difference between the two pedal, but i will deff look at the you tube video.

• Members

Theyre definately two different animals. A fuzz is set up to have one transistor over driving another. Most have 3 transistors for that 60s sound. Overdrives work on a two transistor setup in many cases or op amps. The gain level doesnt go as far as a fuzz. Most distortion units use Diodes to create clipping. I say most because in electronics theres many ways to get simular effects depending on how the components are biased, What type of components, Gain ratios, circuit design, voltage levels etc. Basically the way I see them overdrive gainwise from lightest to heaviest is

1.Booster
2.Overdrive
3.Fuzz
4.Distortion
5.Heavy Metal/double distortion

I usually mount them on a board in that order too

• Members

Theyre definately two different animals. A fuzz is set up to have one transistor over driving another. Most have 3 transistors for that 60s sound. Overdrives work on a two transistor setup in many cases or op amps. The gain level doesnt go as far as a fuzz. Most distortion units use Diodes to create clipping. I say most because in electronics theres many ways to get simular effects depending on how the components are biased, What type of components, Gain ratios, circuit design, voltage levels etc. Basically the way I see them overdrive gainwise from lightest to heaviest is

1.Booster

2.Overdrive

3.Fuzz

4.Distortion

5.Heavy Metal/double distortion

I usually mount them on a board in that order too

I was under the impression that Fuzz had the most gain.

• Members

This link looks dumb at first glance, but it's a good entry-level way to understand how effects work, and how they are different.

I rather enjoyed that. Especially:

"Boutique FX

Boutique FX function in basically the same way as non-boutique FX, with the following differences:

1) They only use free-range monkeys, who are very well fed and trained and love their work.

2) They are almost exclusively made with analog, hippy monkeys.

3) The monkeys, instead of having stools, have comfy designer chairs to sit on. Lay-z-boys are particularly popular. The boxes they live in are also brightly decorated, which the monkeys love.

These factors combine to make many people think that boutique FX produce better sound, due to the happier monkeys. However, these monkeys are very expensive to raise, and so the boutique FX tend to cost many more bananas to buy. There is much debate as to whether it's worth it. "

Archived