Line 6 DL 4 or Boss Giga Delay?

Clint K

• Members

I am contemplating getting another delay to replace my ibanez DE-7. What are your guys' thoughts?

Here is what I can come up with:

Giga Delay: Smaller, slightly less expensive, Can most likely be hooked up in my 1 spot power chain (correct me if I'm wrong). But I don't like that it isn't true bypass like the DL 4. Do I need an extra pedal for the Giga Delay in order to use tap tempo, or is it built in with one of the pedals?

DL 4: True Bypass, independent switches for each saved delay, but larger and requires line 6 adapter

I am also open to any other suggestions you may have. Maybe even a Boss DD3 if you can talk me into it. I'd like to be able to save multiple delay times though.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can't use the onespot daisychain on the Giga Delay... Sorry mate :/

I would suggest you the Line 6 echo park. It has almost every function on the DL4 except for the 7 second looping in the DL4 (which is short btw) and the presets.

Small, cheaper, can be daisychained and has a great quality.

• Members

I must say, the individual preset switches on the DL4 are really nifty. It's a bummer you can't use the looper in all modes though.

The DL4 does not need a separate adapter. I run mine from my 1-spot and as long as you have the adapter cable (most likely included, but can otherwise be gotten for 3 bucks) it works just fine.

• Members

I highly recommend the Nova Delay. It's incredibly user-friendly and sounds awesome. Presets, tap tempo, multiple modes, multiple note subdivisions, reverse, everything you need other than a looper.

It says it requires 12v 300mA, but I've never had any problems running it or my Nova Reverb on a One Spot.

• Members

I would suggest you the Line 6 echo park. It has almost every function on the DL4 except for the 7 second looping in the DL4 (which is short btw) and the presets.

I run mine (DD20) on a daisy chained 1 Spot and it works fine. Even called Boss about it

• Members

true bypass??

• Members

really it's just matters what you want in a delay (i own both).

looper? lots of subdivisions for tap-tempo (dotted eights, etc)? oscillation? ability to set bpm/ms..

if you get an external tap tempo switch for the dd20, it's about the same size as a dl-4..granted, you can place them further apart on a board.

• Members

NOT TRUE AT ALL.

I used my Giga Delay daisychained with 5 other pedals tonight! No noise. No hum. Perfect delay.

DON'T COMMENT UNLESS YOU'RE SURE.

• Members

I've owned both, kept the Giga Delay. I like the Analog and Tape Settings, and some people think it's a bit complicated but I like being able to tweak it.

However, I'm tempted to part ways with it, my Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus, and EHX Stereo Pulsar and get a Deluxe Memory Man.

• Members

yeah, i don't know what the whole "doesn't work with the onespot" thing is about... both of them do, you just have to get the adapter plug for the DL4. I've played with the DL4 and have had the DD-20 for almost a year now. It has been great. I don't know about it sucking tone, I read somewhere that it doesn't do anything to your original signal, but I guess your ears are the final judge.

I'd look at the DD-7 before either one though.. it sounds good, the analog is better on it than the DD-20 and the looper is longer (not that I use it all that much, but it's there...). The Echo Park has a funky tap-tempo/half-step deal going on...but that may be something you just have to try for yourself. Some of the guys here swear by them.

If you have your heart set on one or the other (DD20/DL4), I'd go for a DD-20 all over again. Sure, it's got some useless features you never *think* you'll use, but they're there should you ever want to experiment. The digital read-out is awesome, dotted-eighths are a breeze. You can use the right pedal as a tap tempo or you can use a FS-5U or other unlatching footswitch. The footprint is smaller...... but this is if you're looking at just these two. If you want to branch out, check the DD-7 or Nova Delay..

• Members

DL-4 has serious reliability issues that will crop up sooner or later. Mine died not so long ago. DL-4 has the DD-20 beat for wacky self-oscillating feedback noise and ease of looper use. DD-20 has the screen for fine adjustment and displaying delay times etc. which might come in handy.

Alternatives?

Nova Delay has all the same tweakability and costs about the same as the DD-20 (at least in the UK) but no looper.

Eventide TimeFactor has a lot of people here very excited, but costs twice what the DD-20 does in the UK- more features, downloadable updates etc., but it costs.

EH Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai has lots of fun features, presets(IIRC?) and a looper

Empress Super Delay- at the current exchange rate the GBP price is only slightly higher than a DL-4, and there are some very neat features in this thing, plus 8 presets.

BTW, rabbott13- the DL-4 doesn't have the ability to do two tempo-sync-ed delays at once. You can set two different delay times in either ping-pong or stereo mode (I forget...) but you'd have to adjust the tempo manually I reckon.

• Members

Having owned a DL4 and a DD-20, I'd get the DD-20 every time unless you want to use the DL4 mainly for looping. It's just an altogether better sounding unit, easier to use, smaller footprint, more reliable, easy to run off a daisy chain etc etc.

Having said that, the Nova Delay slays it. It is pretty much the same price in the UK and it's far superior in the sound department.

• Members

My RE-20 Space eCho can't be daisychained so i thought the giga delay wouldn't be able to be daisychained too :S

Its important to remember that the RE-20 is a noisy pedal even when ran with its own power supply. It can be daisychained, but it'll just magnify the noise.

• Members

I don't have my heart set on either. I am open to anything really. Even cheaper, single pedals.

I just noticed that the EH Memory Man w/ Hazari is in the same price range last night. Anyone have one? I don't think I have access to any locally to try out. Also, if anyone knows if this can be 1spotted, that would help out a lot. I am thinking no since it is 24V

Also, I prefer having both outputs work at the same time so I can hook up 2 amps. On the DE-7 the wet output has no signal come out when the pedal is not engaged, and only wet signal when it is engaged.

• Members

The Deluxe Memory Man is an analog delay and needs 24v so it can't be daisy chained.

The Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai is a digital delay and needs 9v and can be daisy chained.

I have both the Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai and DL4 and I must say they are both excellent delays. The DL4 has got individual buttons for the presets (nifty!), you can have multiple presets with the same delay type and it has got many different kinds of delays.

The Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai has got fewer types and a bad preset system but the delays sound much nicer in my opinion. It's got one distinct sound but that one is great.

Archived