Speakeasy And Nord join forces

ferran25

• Members

:confused:

yeah Clavia bought a Rhodes Mark V from them to sample for the Electro and in typical Speakeasy vintage instrument fashion it was advertised as pristine but showed up a total piece of {censored}. rusted tines, open windings, etc.

there was a huge {censored}storm on the rhodes list about 5 years ago. june of 2002 i think.

same thing happened to my friend Matt when he bought an OB-8 from Speakeasy. he had to drop a few hundred to get it fixed after it arrived.

• Members

I ordered some grommets for my rhodes and they charged me a fortune (something like $25 or something ridiculous) for shipping to UK... when it came it said $4 on the packet... the main guy really wrote some {censored}ty emails to me before saying it was a misunderstanding...

Never did fit the grommets... still here now..

• Members

so, the rumours are true...which means Dave Ell -was right- but maybe a little untactical. The production of tines is a great thinmg though (for Rhodes/Brandstetter?)

I also heard a story about a bad tube preamp, coming from a Dutch guy who had it checked by a tube tech, payed a proper amount to get it working but it still had noise issues. I'd stay away.... go to Taste und Technik in Hannover/Germany! (he's the guy from the Velvet plugin for Protools)

• Members

he's also built a tube pre for the rhodes, which sounds very Fender-ish to me and is a lot cheaper at 450eurs

check the soundclips. They are a lot like my Bassman and the NI TwangCombo plugin...the latter however cost me 50eurs...

Nice... I like this unit... I know MajorKey also have their own unit but this sounds like it could be better to me. The first sample just sounds like a normal rhodes to me... but I do like the tremolo sounds a lot.. would be amazing to use that through my PA..

Price is a lot but understandable given the limited market...

• Members

so, the rumours are true...which means Dave Ell -was right- but maybe a little untactical. The production of tines is a great thinmg though (for Rhodes/Brandstetter?)

Yep, I think its the same Rhodes that they sampled into the Electro... Clavia paid top whack for the MKV I think it was over $2000... and that was around 2001/2 or so... I think they came to some agreement with Speakeasy in the end.. but then again they (Speakeasy) had to because they were pretty shoddy in the old days.... I think they are a better organisation now.. but judging by the posts here maybe not ;)

• Members

the first sample is the clean rhodes tru DI (not his preamp). Guess the thing also doubles as a DI, he can also build you one with balanced outs (XLR). What limits it for me is that it will always add the Fender-Amped sound to the Rhodes. This is cool in some songs, not so in others. Meanwhile I prefer the sound through my little AER amp as this is also extremely clear and punchy, but it does not boost the metallic artefacts like the Bassman and this T&T preamp do. As a reference, check the two recordings I did for Bluesynths'

Rhodes review, one with and one without NI TwangCombo...about the same difference as you hear in sample 1 and 2.

the bassplayer in my band has a TC1140 which should be great for rhodes too. Complex eq though, and also around 220-250eurs s/h

EDIT:

click hifi:

Rhodes through DI

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=194445&songID=5078747

Rhodes through DI and NI Twang

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=40507&songID=4660763

the first sounds more mellow, woody, relaxed, the second punches more, has more "metallic" and is even a tad clicky

• Members

Or in babel fish

Preliminary stage and sound attitude are implemented in tube technology and follow the usual circuit technologies in guitar amplifiers. The special klangcharakter of these circuits in connection with tube technology contributes considerably to the optimal result. The Stereo Tremolo circuit works as in the Rhodes Suitcase models on optical basis. There the actual sound figuration is here already final we this circuit in semiconductor technology implemented.

Roald wins! :)

• Members

you have an ART preamp right? to be honest...I found them sound like a cardboard box...also borrowed one from a proud owner and said, politically correct, "hmm yeah it adds something but I don't think it's worth it for me" :D

• Members

you have an ART preamp right? to be honest...I found them sound like a cardboard box...also borrowed one from a proud owner and said, politically correct, "hmm yeah it adds something but I don't think it's worth it for me"
:D

Yeah, but it actually sounds pretty good I think and it cuts the noise down.. but its a bit too pure for me, I thought I could get the tube to crunch a little but its very much zero or 99%. I think the idea of different EQs is a little too subtle on the Art for it be of any use (i.e. they all sound the same really)

• Members

I just bought a Speakeasy Tube Stereo Pre Rack, so will let you know how I like it soon running my analogues and VA's through it. I might be wrong but the Art tube pre's (I still own a PAC) are good little pre's for the price. I got mine for @ $50. I'm not sure if there is enough voltage going thru the tube to have much effect but I've has some vocalists sound very good through this as opposed to no pre/comp at all. How much of these inexpensive tube pre's are mktg hype I don't know but I do know that with my Vox Tonelab and some pre's that glowing tube we see is actually 1 or more led's behind the tube.

• Members

you have an ART preamp right? to be honest...I found them sound like a cardboard box...also borrowed one from a proud owner and said, politically correct, "hmm yeah it adds something but I don't think it's worth it for me"
:D

A little OT (sorry) - I always liked your recordings Roald - what kind of recording equipment do you use?

• Members

Jonny, the earliest stuff was recorded via a Spirit Folio Notepad into a Soundblaster128 (!!) into CubaseVST on a Pentium2. I then changed to a Yamaha MG12/4 into TASCAM US122 on a Pentium 3 and 4 and recently updated to EMU1212M and Mackie VLZpro. The monitors changed too, I sold my Behringer Truths and got ADAM a7's

gdh, sure, they're very cheap but I didn't find them better than the onboard pre's in my mixdesk. I don't know what the tube does but it was backlit by a led on the one I borrowed (???) and had a nasty overdrive.

Archived