Analog Delay Comparison: Carbon Copy, HBE Mimick, Malekko Echo 330B

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Andy,

That is a great demo comparison. I wish more people would do that. The only criticism i have is that you show blind the viewers to the pedals and at the very end reveal the id of the pedals. That way you will insure minimal bias.

This is a tough decision because there are so much going on there, and it's only because you did a very good job! My initial impression is that there is definitely a tonal difference and that i am liking the mimic the best.

• Members

Hey Andy,

That is a great demo comparison. I wish more people would do that. The only criticism i have is that you show blind the viewers to the pedals and at the very end reveal the id of the pedals. That way you will insure minimal bias.

This is a tough decision because there are so much going on there, and it's only because you did a very good job! My initial impression is that there is definitely a tonal difference and that i am liking the mimic the best.

Wow, what a concept. Your saying, play the demo and not let the viewer know what we are playing until the end? IE: Here is pedal one, pedal two etc. At the end of the video list what those pedals are? That is a very good idea. I will think about that one, we may actually incorporate that. Not only would it minimize brand bias from the viewer stand point, it would make the video a lot more fun to watch. Thanks for your input.

What does everyone else think about this?

• Members

Wow, what a concept. Your saying, play the demo and not let the viewer know what we are playing until the end? IE: Here is pedal one, pedal two etc. At the end of the video list what those pedals are? That is a very good idea. I will think about that one, we may actually incorporate that. Not only would it minimize brand bias from the viewer stand point, it would make the video a lot more fun to watch. Thanks for your input.

What does everyone else think about this?

i agree !

that way u listen and judge by the sound, and not by the brand or the "coolness" of the item.

• Members

on second listen...

-- the malekko sounds like it's clipping the signal a bit

--the mimic seems to be cleaner on the repeats and has less clipping

--the cc is bright

--the oscillation part of the demo, the malekko is doing something strange to the repeat, like the bottom gets dropped out of it.

--bass repsonse mimic > malekka > cc

--clipping mimic > cc > malekka

--the oscillation of the malekko is interesting..very slow

--oscillation on mimic and cc are similar

based on my second, i would choose the mimic out of those three delays.

imho

• Members

i agree !

that way u listen and judge by the sound, and not by the brand or the "coolness" of the item.

Exactly. There is also the notion of pedal "X" is known to have a lot of compression etc. People may tend to hear the compression due to it's reputation rather than trust their ears. It would be even more effective if we waited a week to let people know what the pedals were. The viewer would have more time to spend with the sound of the pedals and compare them more thoroughly and formulate opinions. Hmmmmm.

• Members

The HBE sounds really good but man, they really dropped the ball on the cosmetics of that pedal. These companies could pay some design student $10 an hour to design the cosmetics and improve their sales dramatically.

In the end it doesn't matter what a pedal looks like but at the same time it's just disheartening to see a company go halfway with a product and then just quit.

I love these comparison videos... great great idea

• Members

I like the idea of the blind comparison, but at the same time, I feel like I would have to sit there with a notepad scribbling things down because I don't have a name and image to associate the pedal with. It's a lot harder to remember which pedal is which and why you like each one when all you have to go on is a number.

• Members

I like the idea of the blind comparison, but at the same time, I feel like I would have to sit there with a notepad scribbling things down because I don't have a name and image to associate the pedal with. It's a lot harder to remember which pedal is which and why you like each one when all you have to go on is a number.

That is the essence of bias. By knowing the brand, you have already "made up your mind." ...well almost. A lot of people are brand bias. I have a foxrox brand bias. A, B and C is the most partial way to go, but i agree it's hard to remember.

• Members

That was really well done. It's not often that you can A/B/C different pedals, and it's tough to decide what is really good if you're a noob. Availability is another factor too, theres almost no point in demo-ing what you can't get. Based on what I heard, either the Mimic or CC would be good for what I play. For the next shootout, I suggest fuzzes or distortions. :idea:

• Members

Perfect! Just what I was looking for aswell, as I'm thinking of either the CC or the Malecko bright (and now the other is an option!)

The big plus points are the fact that you play the same 'riffs' each time, and that there's also a visual highlight of what pedal you're playing, so once the viewer has watched and listened, they can literally move the tab back and forth for more instant comparisons. The price range is a good point aswell and should definitely stay if you're going to do more.

Can't wait to hear some more similar demo's.

• Members

First off, I'd like to say that this is a great job and a great service (and one which we are planning to also offer in the near future (and have been planning for a while, not just as a response!!:)))).

Weird thing for me listening to these delays is that the Malekko Bright's that I have had in stock sound a lot more like how the Homebrew Mimic sounds in this video. The Malekko 300B in this video sounds more like the dark version to me... interesting...

• Members

I think that the "Blind comparison" idea, while being a very good concept in itself, wouldn't let itself to well to this, a visual medium. I mean, if you're not gonna show images of the pedal you might as well do audio-only demos. I think you do a great job of being unbiased and letting the listener/viewer decide as it is.

• Members

The HBE sounds really good but man, they really dropped the ball on the cosmetics of that pedal. These companies could pay some design student $10 an hour to design the cosmetics and improve their sales dramatically.

In the end it doesn't matter what a pedal looks like but at the same time it's just disheartening to see a company go halfway with a product and then just quit.

I love these comparison videos... great great idea

The HBE's look nicer in person. Yes, there is not much in the way of graphics, but they use nice metalflake (sparkly) paint on their pedals with cool colors.

Otherwise, they do look almost utilitarian. Maybe that is on purpose to stay with the "homebrew" theme.

• Members

The HBE's look nicer in person. Yes, there is not much in the way of graphics, but they use nice metalflake (sparkly) paint on their pedals with cool colors.

Otherwise, they do look almost utilitarian. Maybe that is on purpose to stay with the "homebrew" theme.

ah... yeah the sparkly paint doesn't come across in the pictures.

You're probably right about the homebrew theme. Just the way the text is arranged and stuff bothers me from a design perspective haha

Archived