WOT: I fell off a cliff and almost died!

skitzy

• Members

Seriously!

i'll have a couple more pictures to come later, i just got back from the hospital.

so the story goes like this:

we decided to go camping and hiking saturday afternoon. it had rained earlier that day (this all occurred at 6:30, it rained about 10am that day) so of course we were careful. very careful, but i guess no matter how careful you are, {censored} still happens. so we were walking along the path, enjoying the sights, when i feel my feet start slipping. i guess the rain had loosened the earth a bit, and my foot fell through, and i started falling.

my first reaction was to frantically grab for a tree root or whatever i could find. i ended up falling off a cliff and landing on my left leg into a creek. my friends rushed down and kept me still while two others ran down to the road to get cell reception and call 911. i laid in the water for about an hour and a half before rescue teams came and rigged a couple pulleys to lift be out of there. i was then air lifted to the university hospital.

so it turns out i was really, really lucky. i only broke my heel and have a lower back compression fracture. if i had landed any further to my side, i'd have either landed on a giant jagged rock or giant log, severly {censored}ing myself up. doctors said there's a 40 percent mortality rate falling from that high, and i got away with a couple broken bones.

i'm in a cast for my left ankle and a back brace that i'm going to have to wear for 8 weeks.

oh, and tomorrow's my birthday!

but all in all, it was a good experience. now i have no excuse to not read and play guitar all day

:wave:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wow. well happy birthday a day early and glad to hear that you were lucky enough to get out of it all in okay shape. Sucks about the cast and everything, but maybe you can get your post count up while you're sitting around for the next several weeks. my only question: why did your friends leave you in the water until the rescuers showed up? Couldn't they drag you out of the creek?

• Members

wow. well happy birthday a day early and glad to hear that you were lucky enough to get out of it all in okay shape. Sucks about the cast and everything, but maybe you can get your post count up while you're sitting around for the next several weeks. my only question: why did your friends leave you in the water until the rescuers showed up? Couldn't they drag you out of the creek?

no, they were smart about it and wouldn;t let me move. they seriously thought i was much more injured and broke my back. i was yelling at them to roll me over, and they wouldn't, so i thank them for that.

• Members

probably worried about paralysis

Sorry, I didn't consider the spinal aspect of it. I'm having a hard time picturing the fall. When he said that he fell on his leg, I figured that wasn't an issue, but the distance of the fall must have been significant enough to be concerned about it.

• Members

glad to hear your ok. on the bright side now you can become a superhero and say "im not supposed to be alive" then kick ass.

he's a man living on borrowed time. Now, he just needs to travel around America righting wrongs and befriending the downtrodden.

• Members

glad to hear your ok. on the bright side now you can become a superhero and say "im not supposed to be alive" then kick ass.

This = win

But seriously your a very lucky man, I nearly fell off a cliff which I can garuntee was higher than 30 feet and i've been terified of hights since. What does it feel like falling like that? I can't even start to imagine what it would feel like.

• Members

This = win

But seriously your a very lucky man, I nearly fell off a cliff which I can garuntee was higher than 30 feet and i've been terified of hights since. What does it feel like falling like that? I can't even start to imagine what it would feel like.

to tell you the truth, all i remember was slipping, reaching for something to hold on to, and hitting my head against a rock as i fell. i don't rmember the actual fall, nor do i remember landing. according to my friend, he saw me slip and said it felt like forever until he heard me hit the ground. once i was down there, i woke up on my face not knowing were i saw, how i got there, etc. etc.

also, i lost my voice from screaming "{censored}" so loud and often

Archived