Thinking about selling off my entire pedalboard

zwtyo

• Members

try as i may, i'm just not really digging it.

i'd like to get a new amp and just base my entire sound off of that. thanks to that thread frankiej started about low watt tube heads, i have serious GAS for a mesa 5:50. does anybody here know much about those?

as far as the pedals i'll actually use, i'm not much for modulation, i like OD, reverb and some delay. i'm looking for the amp to take care of the majority of my dirt sounds.

as far as the board it'd probably be like an OD, fuzz, clean boost, analog delay.

who anyone else here runs a setup like that with satisfactory results?

• Members

Go for the amp. Find an amp that suits you. The pedals I've got I feel at not pedals with their own distinct character but pedals that bring out whatever amps I'm using. Most of my pedals have a lot of flexibility and options rather than more 'one-trick' pedals.

• Members

yeah, i made the mistake of just buying an amp off of a friend because it was cheap. it was as peavey classic 50, don't get me wrong, it's not a bad amp. just not what i'm looking for.

I went out of my way, drove an hour or so out of town, to buy a Classic 50 off Craig's list. I searched for one for months.

Weird huh? TO me, it's the ultimate, love it's cleans, so full and warm.

What does the Mesa have that you like, or better asked, what is it that your looking for?

• Members

I went out of my way, drove an hour or so out of town, to buy a Classic 50 off Craig's list. I searched for one for months.

Weird huh? TO me, it's the ultimate, love it's cleans, so full and warm.

What does the Mesa have that you like, or better asked, what is it that your looking for?

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm

these are the ones i'm looking at right now. mesa's have more gain on tap and this series of amps appears to just have a ton of tonal options in there, several options for gain, it's two channel, reverb and it offers the ability to switch from either 5 to 25 watts or 5 to 50 watts (depending on which one you get) and that's also a major selling point for me.

• Members

I just did this like a couple weeks ago. Sold off a ton of stuff and raised enough money for my dream amp. I've got my pedals squeezed onto a PT Jr. now. You should go for it. It feels really good to downsize a bunch of pedals that aren't really getting used to their fullest potential and then getting an amp that you really love.

Still have a couple months to wait for my amp, though. :cry:

• Members

yeah i just got a new amp less than a month ago.

I had to sell off a bunch of pedals to get it, and let me tell you, it is definitely worth it. I have never been happier with my sound than I am right now. My setup is in my sig, its really simple, I'm probably only going to add a vibe pedal and then it's done.

So sell your pedals, get the amp you want! You wont regret it, trust me.

• Members
I just did this like a couple weeks ago. Sold off a ton of stuff and raised enough money for my dream amp. I've got my pedals squeezed onto a PT Jr. now. You should go for it. It feels really good to downsize a bunch of pedals that aren't really getting used to their fullest potential and then getting an amp that you really love.

Still have a couple months to wait for my amp, though.
:cry:

haha, what amp did you get?

i also see wehre you're selling the green muff, you can really fetch $150 for one of those? i've had one sitting around the house for ages gathering dust.

• Members

I follow those rules (the numbers show priority)

1. guitar - priority here: must like unamplified sound
2. amp - priority here: must have perfect clean sound, vintage without master preferred
3. pedals (booster/overdrive/fuzz) - priority here: enhance amp sound, transparency, give me light crunch, crunch, all out fuzz
3. pedals (delay) - priority here: analog sound, tap
4. pedals (modulation) - priority here (if necessary at all): phase and vibe

current setup:

Tele > MJM London > Nebula > Timmy > MojoDrive > TimeFactor > Tweed RI

I own a lot more to 'play' with, but this setup gives me all I need.

• Members

you got the deluxe reverb?

i looked at one of those, but i feel like it may be a tad too small for what i'd need. i don't know though, i like them a lot.

yeah i got the DRRI

its small, but its incredible, its just loud enough to play with a drummer.

oh and about those green big muff's, I actually just sold one on ebay yesterday for 170+10 bucks shipping. A couple have gotten up in the 230's+ tho recently.

• Members
haha, what amp did you get?

i also see wehre you're selling the green muff, you can really fetch $150 for one of those? i've had one sitting around the house for ages gathering dust.

I'm waiting on a Matamp GT1. As for the Muff, I just sold another green Russian a day or two ago for $150, and like rossowj said I've seen them go for over $200 fairly recently.

• Members

I love the express series especially the 5:50. The cleans sound amazing and the crunch is exactly what you'd want
at a price that's hard to beat
. I'm surprised that these aren't more popular.

LOL! over here it's the price that's the problem, messa's are the almost the most exspensive amps you can buy.

the 5:50 is

• Members

i've been playing a mesa 5:50 for about a couple of months now, and i am so far really really pleased with it. the cleans are superb and are really articulate sounding, and the first channel is great as well. but i usually boost it with a ts9 or a fuzz factory for heavier/fuzzier stuff.

but seriously, i couldnt be happier with this amp, the dual wattage system is a huge plus point for me too as i live in an apartment.

maybe the only downside could be that its a 1 x 12, might prefer a 2 x 12.

• Members
lol, I don't know about that but I could fly to the USA buy one and fly back get it converted to run off 240v and it would still be cheaper than buying one here!

:lol:

True... even shipping it and having it converted would save you $1000 US probably.

• Members

I follow those rules (the numbers show priority)

1. guitar - priority here: must like unamplified sound

2. amp - priority here: must have perfect clean sound, vintage without master preferred

3. pedals (booster/overdrive/fuzz) - priority here: enhance amp sound, transparency, give me light crunch, crunch, all out fuzz

3. pedals (delay) - priority here: analog sound, tap

4. pedals (modulation) - priority here (if necessary at all): phase and vibe

current setup:

Tele > MJM London > Nebula > Timmy > MojoDrive > TimeFactor > Tweed RI

I own a lot more to 'play' with, but this setup gives me all I need.

i disagree.amp is most important

Archived