The Official "Are people out of their minds?" eBay thread

• Members

I personally think there's nothing cheap on ebay...

there's plenty of bargains to be had you just have to look on a regular basis, a lot of the real bargains get snapped up BIN before most people even see them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

there's plenty of bargains to be had you just have to look on a regular basis, a lot of the real bargains get snapped up BIN before most people even see them.

or bad pictures, local pickup only, low feedback, bad description, misspellings, etc are also ways you can sometimes make killer bargains. Sometimes you have to take a chance with something that looks a little shady but you can score big.

• Members

or bad pictures, local pickup only, low feedback, bad description, misspellings, etc are also ways you can sometimes make killer bargains. Sometimes you have to take a chance with something that looks a little shady but you can score big.

yeah, that's totally true.

I couldn't belive it when I won my vintage MXR dist+ for

• Members
exactly, perfect example. good score!

how is that pedal BTW?

It's great! :)

I wasn't too sure at first when I was running it into my 2x10" combo, it sounded very bright and kinda gritty....but now I have a 4x12" cab it sounds totally wonderful...much smoother and warmer. :thu:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

This one makes me want to cry! :cry:

http://cgi.ebay.com/60-s-Univox-Uni-Vibe-Univibe-Vintage-No-Reissue-Shin-Ei_W0QQitemZ270291424936QQihZ017QQcategoryZ41413QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$3400 BIN on a Uni-Vibe???

He says "It's in great shape", and "No Issues, repairs...". I presume he means it's all original. Anyway, he's wrong on both counts.

First off, it's heavily corroded, and the chassis is banged up. I wouldn't exactly call it "great shape".

Second, it's had a LOT of work done to it. The wiring harness between the circuit board and control panel is NOT original, and the wires aren't even all the same gauge. Shin-ei used white string - not packing twine - to bundle their wires. The "Intensity" pot has been replaced. The power transformer doesn't look original. Three caps and one transistor in the LFO circuit have definitely been replaced. And the lamp current trimmer has been replaced with a jumper wire.

And what is that nasty goo all over the circuit board and light tank? Looks like somebody was chawin' tobbacky when they worked on it.

• Members

This one makes me want to cry!
:cry:

http://cgi.ebay.com/60-s-Univox-Uni-Vibe-Univibe-Vintage-No-Reissue-Shin-Ei_W0QQitemZ270291424936QQihZ017QQcategoryZ41413QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$3400 BIN on a Uni-Vibe???

He says "It's in great shape", and "No Issues, repairs...". I presume he means it's all original. Anyway, he's wrong on both counts.

First off, it's heavily corroded, and the chassis is banged up. I wouldn't exactly call it "great shape".

Second, it's had a LOT of work done to it. The wiring harness between the circuit board and control panel is NOT original, and the wires aren't even all the same gauge. Shin-ei used white string - not packing twine - to bundle their wires. The "Intensity" pot has been replaced. The power transformer doesn't look original. Three caps and one transistor in the LFO circuit have definitely been replaced. And the lamp current trimmer has been replaced with a jumper wire.

And what is that nasty goo all over the circuit board and light tank? Looks like somebody was chawin' tobbacky when they worked on it.

should I :lol: or :facepalm:?

check this out, that's some serious money...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Binson-Echorec-B2-c-1969-Reconditioned-By-Binson-UK_W0QQitemZ120319720374QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120319720374&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A3|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

does look kinda cool though I must admit. :)

• Members

does look kinda cool though I must admit.
:)

Well, functioning Binsons usually go from $800 to $1300. The problem is the wiring they used in these disintegrates over time, so this one has been completely rewired from scratch, which is good, you know it will last and probably sounds a lot better. From what I've been told, it's a lot of bench work to do this, so that's actually not too bad of a price to access Interstellar Overdrive. Snap it up and go cover an Esquire with silver and mirrors. I'm waiting. :cop:

Archived