Anyone gig with a 5W amp?

kyrreca

• Members

So, I'm playing a gig with my new band in a couple of weeks. I usually use my Rivera M100 for gigs, but it's really heavy and cumbersome, and I don't drive a car. At the last band practices, I've used my 5W combo, and I've had no troubles with volume, even with the volume knob at about 1 o'clock.

Does anyone here regularly use 5W amps for gigging? I'm pretty sure the venue we're playing at will be micing the amps anyways, so it shouldn't be problem, right?

• Members

The 5w setting on my amp was plenty for me on the last two gigs we played. There was a mic on the speaker of course and I had it up on a table to monitor myself, but yeah, it was more than loud enough to do the job.

• Members

So, I'm playing a gig with my new band in a couple of weeks. I usually use my Rivera M100 for gigs, but it's really heavy and cumbersome, and I don't drive a car. At the last band practices, I've used my 5W combo, and I've had no troubles with volume, even with the volume knob at about 1 o'clock.

Does anyone here regularly use 5W amps for gigging? I'm pretty sure the venue we're playing at will be micing the amps anyways, so it shouldn't be problem, right?

As long as you mic it you can play anything I'm pretty sure.

• Members
Damn right, it's also cool to hit a chord and hear the sound bloke say "that's great" rather than "turn it down!"

Is there anything worse than that?? :mad:

And of course we all think 'yeah right, I'll turn it down for now but it's going back up the second the gig starts...'.

The only problem with a 5W amp I'd have is the on stage level... I hate my amp sound coming back via monitors, and you have to stand in front of them... but this usually depends on the venue/stage.
I can't rehearse with anything less than 15W and a 1x12" speaker personally...

• Members

Yeah, I was a bit worried about the stage volume. My amp is a Valvetrain 205, and it appears to be louder than other 5W amps I've played. It also has a 10" speaker, not the usual 8", so I guess that might help a bit. Do you think I will have trouble hearing myself on stage?

• Members

Well, it's not a very large venue, and the stage is pretty small, so I guess I'll be standing close to the amp. On the other hand, my band is pretty loud. I don't need super pristine clean sounds, so I'll just dime the amp and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out too good, at least I know I should bring my big amp next time.

• Members

I think that sometimes people don't realise how loud 5 watts is. I remember, when I first got my Cornford Carrera, I thought that because it was only 6 watts I'd be able to turn it up pretty loud in the house and get some nice power amp distortion.......I was so wrong. I don't think that I've ever turned it past half way.

• Members

I think that sometimes people don't realise how loud 5 watts is. I remember, when I first got my Cornford Carrera, I thought that because it was only 6 watts I'd be able to turn it up pretty loud in the house and get some nice power amp distortion.......I was so wrong. I don't think that I've ever turned it past half way.

Exactly, I use my Cornell on the 5w setting at home and it's louder on 1.5 than my AC30! So much can be dependent on the amp's design, speaker etc. The Nano Head is 0.5w and when cranked through a pair of Blues it's loud enough to bother the neighbours.

• Members

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but you also have to think of your other band members being able to hear you... so raising a 5W amp to your own chest height might be good for you, but little good to the bass player and drummer..

• Members

Actually, if the stage is about the same size of your band rehearsal room and your amp is loud enough for rehearsals, you should be fine hearing yourself if everything is miked for the front.

However, if you play a bigger stage, resonnant hall with a so-so monitoring system (or not much time to soundcheck it right)... like a festival, you might be a bit lost.

• Members

Mic the amp and tip the sound guy....maybe a lil butt secks between sets.

Yeah, I'm sure the sound guy will appreciate it.
:)

You don't know how much! :D

I hate doing live sound, and I've been as displeased with some "sound people" as much as any other musician. But while some sound guys can be real jerks, I have to agree that if the band is killing you with stage volume from multiple 100W amps, there's not a lot left you can do to give them a good mix. At some point, you start driving the room, and it starts acoustically compressing things, and no matter how much you bring something up in the PA (assuming you're willing to throw any state / local / Federal SPL related regulations out the window by doing so...), it's not going to really get any louder in the room - it's out of your hands, and the band is basically mixing themselves acoustically, at whatever balance their relative individual playing and instrument / amp levels happen to be at the moment. Oh, and you can forget about hearing / understanding any vocals...

Small amps are wonderful IMO, but I "live" in a studio most of my life, and in there I don't need tons of SPL (sound pressure level - "volume"), but when I do gig, I do like to have a decent amount of clean headroom. I'm not that into playing really loud either, because I try to protect my hearing... so I usually find a 15-20W amp usually works for me, or better yet, two of them for stereo. Then I feel I can play clean loudly enough for my tastes, without straining the amp or struggling to hear myself over the drummer.

Of course, if you have a great PA, and someone who knows how to use it (there are a few of those folks out there, and bands should at least learn enough about live sound to be able to tell the difference between the two IMO), and enough time for a decent sound check, and to get a monitor mix you're happy with, you could probably gig with one of those battery powered mini-Fender or Marshall amps or a "Little Smokey"... and a 5W amp can actually put out some decent volume... but for me, it's just not quite enough IMO, because you really can't rely on getting that good monitor mix, so you may need enough juice in reserve to, if not kill the first three rows, be able to hear yourself over the drums when you're playing "clean". ;)

• Members

It might be even better if you can arrange to hear the low end through monitors. Problem I always had in a big space and adding PA bass is the amp seems to lose bass and get more directional in the highs. Considered need more speakers.

• Members

I've used a 10 watt amp, 15 watt, 30 watt, 50 watt, 75 watt, 100 watt, 150 watts... I get a good tone with all of them but I have to say it is not as fun for me to use a 10 watt amp as compared to a 50 or 100 watter. Yeah, I'd have to say I could use 10 watts all the time but why?

Archived