Dolby: Golden Age of Wireless

TowJam

• Members

it was a jupiter 4, micromoog or source (depending on the account), simmons drum brain, and a PPG Wavecomputer 340/380 named "Henry." this is not to say there's no rhodes or hammond on it ... i'm only counting the synthesisers.

the 10 volt triggers from the Wavecomputer powering the Simmons are a big part of why the drums sound so {censored}ing fabulous on that album. they weren't really designed to take them at that level and it made them extra punchy basically.

• Members

Yeah, i think Suits pretty much got it all there. Although i think he may have used JP8 as well on 'One of our Submarines' in particular.

Agreed about the drums, very nice original, almost lo-fi sound.

Going to see him live in October in Brighton. At present, hes using alot of Novation gear + Nord, Virus Polar.

Should be a good night.

• Members

Thanks all for the info! Like ElectricPuppy, I literally wore out several cassettes of the album when it came out back in '83 but it's been at least 20 years since I sat down and played through the whole album. Ran across it yesterday on Zune Marketplace and spent half the afternoon listening to it again. And again. Definitely '80s orgasmic goodness but it sure has stood the test of time.

• Members

Thanks all for the info! Like ElectricPuppy, I literally wore out several cassettes of the album when it came out back in '83 but it's been at least 20 years since I sat down and played through the whole album. Ran across it yesterday on Zune Marketplace and spent half the afternoon listening to it again. And again. Definitely '80s orgasmic goodness but it sure has stood the test of time.

I can never get enough of the song 'Screen Kiss' on FE, to me its the definitive atmos/pad song. That Fairlight sound is just beautiful. Brings me out in goosebumps every time I play it.

Archived