OT: Check out the screws and plate in my foot!

skitzy

• Members

So yeah, i fell off a cliff a couple weeks ago and shattered my heel.

I went into surgery tuesday morning. it was actually a really interesting experience. they gave me a nerve blocking agent for my leg and went to town. essentially what they had to do was break more of the bone to get to the bone that forms the joint. they had to move it back into place and support it with a filler. then, to keep it in place, 7 screws and a plate.

once the block wore off, it was pain. legit pain. at about 5am wednesday morning, i woke up screaming. :cry: it still hurts, pretty bad, but i have drugs to chill me out.

check out the pics!

2482714970102911743S500x500Q85.jpg

2921376280102911743S500x500Q85.jpg

• Members

Ouch. I've got three screws going through the top of my left shin, front to back. I had a serious knee injury and the only way to prevent it recurring in the future was to have three to four inches of my shin sawn out, moved and then screwed down in place. The post-op pain was immense. Every time I moved down from the bed and lowered my leg down, the blood would rush down the leg and it felt like it was pulling the screws out of my shin. Going to the bathroom was horrible. I had to move so slowly and I actually passed out a couple of times due to the pain.

Haven't got my X-rays handy but my leg still looks something like this, just more screws and a bit more wire.

Figure%206.jpg

• Members
I was in a pretty bad car accident a few years back (not my fault) -- I've got 4 screws and a rod in my leg.
:eek:
We should start a lounge.
:lol:

Go for it! My greatest regret with the surgery and reconstruction work was that the screws don't set off airport security alarms. I rather liked the idea of some security guard asking me to turn out my pockets, still getting the bleep and then asking me to roll up my trousers so he can scan my leg.

• Members

Go for it! My greatest regret with the surgery and reconstruction work was that the screws don't set off airport security alarms. I rather liked the idea of some security guard asking me to turn out my pockets, still getting the bleep and then asking me to roll up my trousers so he can scan my leg.

This is the first thing people ask whenever I say that I've got a bunch of metal in my leg. It's astounding.

• Members

i wish i could get some morphene here at home. my multiple oxycodone pills don't really do much.

as long as i get the :thu: to go back to school in the fall, i'm happy.

and i called themtwice befre the surgery to make sure the screws and plates aren't ferromagnetic; i didn't wanna risk it

Archived