OT: Possibly the best new deal in noiseless single coils?

jhamnett

• Members

http://store.guitarfetish.com/newhpi.html

I've read a lot of positive things about GFS pickups, but now they have new noiseless single coils. Anyone try them?

Note: not a user or employee. Just interested... I bought some Bill Lawrence L-200s for my Strat, will be put in once I get my switches for the "Super Strat" switching system. I had thought the BLs were the best deal in quality noiseless, but this could change things...

• Members

I've read a lot of positive things about GFS pickups, but now they have new noiseless single coils. Anyone try them?

Note: not a user or employee. Just interested... I bought some Bill Lawrence L-200s for my Strat, will be put in once I get my switches for the "Super Strat" switching system. I had thought the BLs were the best deal in quality noiseless, but this could change things...

If you end up comparing these to the Bill Lawrence singles, please post a quick review. I'd be really interested and I'm sure some others might be as well! They look promising, but ya never know til you try.

• Members

If you end up comparing these to the Bill Lawrence singles, please post a quick review. I'd be really interested and I'm sure some others might be as well! They look promising, but ya never know til you try.

That's the thing... I don't feel like investing in new pups since I just got the Bill Lawrences. Ordered parts from StewMac for the "12 tone strat" (http://dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/armstrongstrat.html) so I can compare that to my current Lace Sensors. Here's a prediction: BL wins (am NOT a fan of the Lace Sensors).

• Members

Here's a prediction: BL wins (am NOT a fan of the Lace Sensors).

A fair prediction. I've got L-200's in two of my Strats, and a set of L-202N/L-200T's on the way for my Telecaster.

I've yet to try a Bill Lawrence single coil that I didn't like. I used to have the L-280/L-290 setup in one of my Strats, and they sounded great...but as soon as I heard the L-200's, I took 'em out...

By far, the best "bang for the buck" pickup manufacturer out there.

• Members

A fair prediction. I've got L-200's in two of my Strats, and a set of L-202N/L-200T's on the way for my Telecaster.

I've yet to try a Bill Lawrence single coil that I didn't like. I used to have the L-280/L-290 setup in one of my Strats, and they sounded great...but as soon as I heard the L-200's, I took 'em out...

By far, the best "bang for the buck" pickup manufacturer out there.

Exactly why I started this thread. For all the research I've done, I came to the same conclusion: BL are best "bang for the buck". I have heard a lot of love for the GFS also, but they were never noiseless... until now. I think they could give the BL a run for their money. I'm GASing for a semi-hollow Tele as well (although that's probably a year away), so it's good to hear you like the BL Tele pickups.

Good to hear about your L-280/L-200 story! I wanted the 70s Strat sound and that's what they recommended me.

• Members

Exactly why I started this thread. For all the research I've done, I came to the same conclusion: BL are best "bang for the buck". I have heard a lot of love for the GFS also, but they were never noiseless... until now. I think they could give the BL a run for their money. I'm GASing for a semi-hollow Tele as well (although that's probably a year away), so it's good to hear you like the BL Tele pickups.

Good to hear about your L-280/L-200 story! I wanted the 70s Strat sound and that's what they recommended me.

We'll see, and I'd like to read any comparison of the two.

Noiseless "Single Coils" are very, very tricky to get right from everything that I've heard (and heard from Bill himself). Getting them noiseless isn't a problem. Getting them not to sound flat, sterile, lifeless and just plain "bad" is.

• Members

We'll see, and I'd like to read any comparison of the two.

Noiseless "Single Coils" are very, very tricky to get right from everything that I've heard (and heard from Bill himself). Getting them noiseless isn't a problem. Getting them not to sound flat, sterile, lifeless and just plain "bad" is.

Case in point... Lace Sensors. A big reason I got the BLs is reputation, plus the testing he performs on each pickup (who else tests for eddy currents?). It's true the GFS pickups could be flat, but, again, their reputation is good.

I think pickup manufacturers are starting to get the hang of making dynamic sounding noiseless pickups. I've been hearing good things lately (Dimarzio, Bill Lawrence, Fralin, Kinman, etc).

• Members

I had one of the first sets of GFS in the UK.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2031919

They're good - in that they're noiseless and the let the guitar sound how it wants to. If the guit is dark then that's what you hear - bright ditto. I've had the same set in 2 instruments now, and like them. Not sure I prefer them to other single coil PUs I have, but they certainly seem to have a place in my collection. They have a little more complexity in the tone than most singles - this isn't always obvious until you swap back and realise the original PU sounds a bit one dimensional.

If you want to hear more, go search for Frets99s threads too.

Archived