OT: Giving Up

Ice Monster

• Members

hooray school.

this was not intended to help..

but, school's school. it'll be harder as you go along, especially if you wanna do something like pharmacy. the pre med regiment (not including any of the bio courses) is usually chemistry through orgo, physics through e&m, and math up to 2nd sem. calc at a lot of schools i've seen.

if you're realy set on doing it, you have to get your priorities straight and really have to commit yourself.

• Members
Seems like you know what you need to do. You're better off putting your education before your dreams of rock & roll stardom- the odds of making a living as a musician, even if you are a really, really good one, are fairly slim.

However, as long as there's high-volume rock music, the world will always need audiologists
:D

I respectfully disagree. With the growing number of people taking music lessons, instrument repair, and gigs (bars, weddings, and if you can get your foot into a booking agent) I think you can make a living off of being a musician. You won't be a "rock star" and get to write songs and make millions of dollars, but I do think it's doable, if it's what you love. You really have to love it to dedicate that much time to it. You'd have to be versatile, be willing to play in a lot of cover bands. I know a lot of people who play for a living and love it. Are the rich? No, but they love what they're doing and that's what counts.

As for the OP, I think you need to find out what you really want to do. Frankly, I love music too much to choose a career that would make me quit my bands and stop writing and practicing. That's just because I want this to be a serious part of my life for a long term and I plan on having my music as a source of income (I'm in college myself). I'd only give up music, if it was truly something I really wanted to do.

Make sure you choose a career that you love not about the income. I see so many choose careers because they make a lot of money, but money can only get you so far. Remember you're ideally going to be doing that for the rest of your life.

• Members

I respectfully disagree. With the growing number of people taking music lessons, instrument repair, and gigs (bars, weddings, and if you can get your foot into a booking agent) I think you can make a living off of being a musician. You won't be a "rock star" and get to write songs and make millions of dollars, but I do think it's doable, if it's what you love. You really have to love it to dedicate that much time to it. You'd have to be versatile, be willing to play in a lot of cover bands. I know a lot of people who play for a living and love it. Are the rich? No, but they love what they're doing and that's what counts.

As for the OP, I think you need to find out what you really want to do. Frankly, I love music too much to choose a career that would make me quit my bands and stop writing and practicing. That's just because I want this to be a serious part of my life for a long term and I plan on having my music as a source of income (I'm in college myself). I'd only give up music, if it was truly something I
really
wanted to do.

Make sure you choose a career that you love not about the income. I see so many choose careers because they make a lot of money, but money can only get you so far. Remember you're ideally going to be doing that for the rest of your life.

I agree.....life's too short.

......but it all depends what you want out of life and only the OP knows that....life in the van living off nothing with your mates and playing shows every other night, sleeping on strangers floors and having a once in a lifetime experience with your friends, or having a good job, plenty of money and working 9 to 5? they are very different things.

• Members

Quit your band and school, invest all your funds into purchasing alcohol and live the next five years of your life in fugue. It worked for me.

It's because you're too drunk to know any different. :poke: But yes, you can always give yourself a lobotomy and you won't have to worry about any of this stuff.

• Members
It's a difficult choice to make I guess.

It seems like a path of choosing either difficulty with financial perks at the end or happiness but being broke.
:p

lol, that's basically what life comes down to usually......

look at most of the great painters, broke in their lifetimes.

• Members

I agree with whoever said go for the pharmacist job, and cut back on the band. Don't give up completely, everyone needs a release, something that helps them relax and have fun. You won't stay sane trying to get through all these courses if you don't have a release. I'd talk to the band, see what they think about cutting back

• Members

As for the OP, I think you need to find out what you really want to do. Frankly, I love music too much to choose a career that would make me quit my bands and stop writing and practicing. That's just because I want this to be a serious part of my life for a long term and I plan on having my music as a source of income (I'm in college myself). I'd only give up music, if it was truly something I
really
wanted to do.

At a certain point people's priorities can drastically change. For instance, if he gets a family and only has a few gigs lined up (which often can be a precarious situation since the rest of the band has to have its $hit together, too) and a few lessons here and there, the stress of likely not being able to provide well for the family could make things suck far worse than being set with a comparably much more stable career that would still provide some time to be in a band or at least jam a fair amount.

I don't belittle the fact that you should hope for a career you'll likely dig after time goes by and should aim for that, but at the same time if our economy keeps going downhill things like guitar lessons and the service industry, in general, are almost surely going to go downhill, as well. Some people are happy being fairly broke, but $ problems and the stress that results from it cause many divorces, family strife, etc... It's always better to be in a position to be able to help than being in a position of counting on others who may or may not be able to help you.

And there's always the chance I could be wrong about a possible music future. One of the tough things about life is having to make important decisions that may not have sure results.

• Members

I agree with whoever said go for the pharmacist job, and cut back on the band. Don't give up completely, everyone needs a release, something that helps them relax and have fun. You won't stay sane trying to get through all these courses if you don't have a release. I'd talk to the band, see what they think about cutting back

Good post, IMO.

• Members

Some people are happy being fairly broke, but $ problems and the stress that results from it cause many divorces, family strife, etc... It's always better to be in a position to be able to help than being in a position of counting on others who may or may not be able to help you.

That's really only an issue for those who insist on living beyond their means. Granted, that seems to be most people these days.

Most people have no business purchasing things so flippantly the way they do and the amount of keeping up with the Jones' going on is ridiculous. People want to shop at the mall, but they're making a Salvation Army wage after their mortgage/car payments. Do you need 50,000 sq feet of home for you, your wife, your 2 ankle biters and your chihuahua? Do you need

a Hummer in every colour to match your shoes? Guess what? Downsize a little to something you can actually afford and maybe then you could afford to buy that fancy glass vase you've had you eye on.

Most people appear too lazy or just unwilling to actually work out a realistic budget and then stick to it.

Those are the reasons I see that people get divorced and have stress. Very little of it has to do with their actual income, it's what they do with that income once it's burning a whole in their pocket/purse. They end up working for their things, as the saying goes. And once you get on teh gerbil wheel its hard to get off, in more ways than one.

• Members

I think that's because people aspire to be in a situation that is better than the one they are currently.

Some people are happy sticking with the same job for many a year, if it pays and it sustains the person.

But sometimes, you can't just "sustain", you wanna bit of "hammer on's" :p. Some excess cash so that you can do some of the things that you want too.

• Members

That's really only an issue for those who insist on living beyond their means. Granted, that seems to be most people these days.

Most people have no business purchasing things so flippantly the way they do and the amount of keeping up with the Jones' going on is ridiculous. People want to shop at the mall, but they're making a Salvation Army wage after their mortgage/car payments. Do you need 50,000 sq feet of home for you, your wife, your 2 ankle biters and your chihuahua? Do you need

a Hummer in every colour to match your shoes? Guess what? Downsize a little to something you can actually afford and maybe then you could afford to buy that fancy glass vase you've had you eye on.

Most people appear too lazy or just unwilling to actually work out a realistic budget and then stick to it.

Those are the reasons I see that people get divorced and have stress. Very little of it has to do with their actual income, it's what they do with that income once it's burning a whole in their pocket/purse. They end up working for their things, as the saying goes. And once you get on teh gerbil wheel its hard to get off, in more ways than one.

I would agree with you on much of what you say, but my posts are based on an economy in transition from good to now less good to very likely soon to be much worse. I know there's a chance I could be wrong (and I definitely hope I am), but if I'm not then at some point people won't be able to make ends meet doing what may've barely got them by previously. But + 1 to the rest of your post, and I fully agree people trying to keep up with and surpass the Joneses is another problem entirely.

• Members
I think that's because people aspire to be in a situation that is better than the one they are currently.

Some people are happy sticking with the same job for many a year, if it pays and it sustains the person.

But sometimes, you can't just "sustain", you wanna bit of "hammer on's"
:p
. Some excess cash so that you can do some of the things that you want too.

And this is also another benefit. :D

I'm one of those people who's not into trying to buy something to impress people unless it's to impress myself. :D The ability to do the occasional something a little extra without breaking the bank can definitely be a plus, in any case. And again it's nice if someone else in your family or a really great freind needs help badly and you're actually in a position to be able to provide some help.

Archived