25 minutes of video for Logic 8 Tips & Tricks

stikygum

• Members

The videos are excellent; a gentle and intelligent introduction to Logic and its various instruments etc. I've purchased a bunch now (at 30% off the regular download price, which is cheaper than the physical copy price already). You don't need to give them anything for the freebies except, if I recall, your email address.

Best value would be "Mastering Logic 8" program. 136 segments so far, all ranging from 1 to 5 minutes. And they seem to be still adding to it; they sent out Part 5 yesterday. If you prefer reading manuals, then this may not be worth the extra cost. I like to learn in a variety of modes, so: read the manual, watch/hear the videos, and play with the program.

To my mind, owning something is only useful if you know how to use it. And the better you know how to use it, the more valuable it is, regardless of price. I'm still going through these videos, some twice. And I'm also printing out the manual (I have Logic Express, which doesn't have the printed manuals) and reading them.

• Members

Why not just buy it for $150?! I'm a legitimate student (finishing my degree at 35), but still my school didn't offer the ridiculous discount, so I found another school store that did. Anyway, here's my idea for you non-students...

Sign-up for a class at a local community college and pay with your credit card, get a student ID, buy Logic Studio for $150, drop the class and get your money back. This would also work if you want to save 20% on your next Mac since you could become a Student Developer.

BTW, the school store I bought from didn't even check that I was a student, so the above steps might be irrelevant.

In the past year, being a student has saved me $400 on my MacBook Pro, $350 on Logic Studio, and $130 on Leopard (it's free for Student Developers). I've got many other smaller discounts along the way.

Mark

• Members

I know I've posted this before, but . . .

I like books. The Apple Pro Training Series Logic books are marvelous. They come with lessons on DVD and are totally "hands on". You can follow along but at any time go off and do your own thing.

The new books for 8 were supposed to be released Oct. 31, but now they say Nov. 18. Amazon has them for a reasonable price.

The manuals keep getting better and simply must be read, there's no way you can learn without them. The Getting Started guide is excellent. And they still retain a nice German sense of humor. Check out what they say about the Klopfgeist.

Mr. Merton posts here at the Mac forum, but I am sorry to say that I don't like his books very much, they seem rewritten from the manuals in an oversimplified manner.

We really should have a stickie FAQ on KSS for commonly asked questions like how do I learn Logic, teach me synthesis, what's a good cheap synth, what about used gear, :blah:

• Members

Um, because that wouldn't be honest?

I guess to me, the ethics in consumerism often fall into a gray area. When corporations frequently take advantage of consumers, I don't feel guilty about taking advantage of them (within legal bounds) to get a good deal.

What I proposed is entirely legal. Is it ethical? It's up to the individual person.

If I were a wealthy adult taking a basket weaving class at a community college, I would be entitled to these same discounts as poor university student, struggling to pay $20K a year for his education. But what's the logic in that? Learning to weave baskets shouldn't entitle me to special discounts, but it does. If I take advantage of these discounts, is it unethical? If I decided to sign up as a Student Developer while learning to weave baskets, would that be unethical? There are many ways to spin this...

Have you ever used two coupons when it says "limit one per household"? Have you ever used a coupon code you found on the Internet, that might have been given to another person but they shared it with you? Etc. We've all done things in ethically gray areas as consumers.

Mark

• Members

I guess to me, the ethics in consumerism often fall into a gray area. When corporations frequently take advantage of consumers, I don't feel guilty about taking advantage of them (within legal bounds) to get a good deal.

$500 for all that LP8 gives you is about as far from a corporation taking advantage of the consumer as I can imagine.

Here's another reason not to buy it for $150: You can't upgrade student discounted versions.

• Members
$500 for all that LP8 gives you is about as far from a corporation taking advantage of the consumer as I can imagine.

Here's another reason not to buy it for $150: You can't upgrade student discounted versions.

:thu:

BTW, Logic Express 8 is sick and now on par with Digital Performer without even being the full version. You got to have some serious problem if your not willing to pick this up for $200 bucks.

• Members

Well, that's true in my case, "Once you go Mac, you never go back". I started out with a Sinclair ZX81, then a Trash 80, then an IBM 386, then a 486, and got up to Winbarf 95 with it . . . switched to a PowerMac 601 and I've been happy ever since. I can even run Windbarf now on my Intel iMac . . . hmm, where's my old Duke Nukem?. . .

• Members

Hey StikyGum

Do you work for MacPro? I'm a little hesitant to download their NED video manager. It looks like it's designed to download lots of videos and at $50 a pop I don't think that's going to happen. Do you need to give any credit card info for NED and the free downloads.

I see this thread got a little off topic so I'd like to ask how people like these videos and how good is the Logic (8) Studio info? I see they still have a lot of 7. I also didn't see any WaveBurner tutorials.

No and No. It's all free to load up to watch these videos. They have others for sale, but these are free.

Archived