Rat clones list/reviews

Jules-RM

• Members

There seems to be a ton of Rat posts lately, but I was wondering if there are any reviews/opinions on the following Rat clones:

Beavis Audio FKR Website

BYOC Mighty Mouse HC reviews

Cmatmods Black Plague

Freakshow Brown Rabbit HC reviews

Hartman LM308 Distorion HC reviews

Lovekraft Chupacabra HC Reviews

Musicbox Happy Cat HC reviews

Retro-Sonic Distortion

Tonefreak Rodentia

Are there any more that are currently in production/widely available that should be added?

I'll probably chime in on the Brown Rabbit when I get more time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tom I was meaning to ask you if you had any RAT/AC30 clips available? I seem to remember one..

Yup, I have a few. When I first got it, I did up a "heavy" clip using the clipping LEDs side of it into the Top Boost channel, which is this:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/16/1868857/FirebreatherRatAC30test.mp3

And here is a demo tune from my band, using no pedals, just the amp with some compression and verb added to the mixdown. I used the Top Boost for the melody and the EF86 for the pedal steel stuff:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/16/1868857/Backbone%20Demo.mp3

:)

• Members

Yup, I have a few. When I first got it, I did up a "heavy" clip using the clipping LEDs side of it into the Top Boost channel, which is this:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/04/16/1868857/Firebreather%20Rat%20%2B%20AC30%20test.mp3

And here is a demo tune from my band, using no pedals, just the amp with some compression and verb added to the mixdown. I used the Top Boost for the melody and the EF86 for the pedal steel stuff:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/04/16/1868857/Backbone%20Demo.mp3

files not found.

• Members

^ nice clips! what kind of rat/clone was that?

haha, I don't mean to threadjack, so I'll just link you to my NPD thread. It's got all the info in there. :)

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1962750

And thanks guys. I do have more clips, but like I said I'm at work right now and I can't remember the URLs to the mp3 links right now.. :(. They're just band demo clips that I record myself, so they're nothing professional. I can post them when I get home, though.

• Members

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/16/1868857/FirebreatherRatAC30test.mp3

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/16/1868857/Backbone%20Demo.mp3

That thrice clip liquifies my balls every time I hear it.

• Members

the first clip sounds great! i need some rat...

haha, I don't mean to threadjack, so I'll just link you to my NPD thread. It's got all the info in there.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1962750

And thanks guys. I do have more clips, but like I said I'm at work right now and I can't remember the URLs to the mp3 links right now..
:(
. They're just band demo clips that I record myself, so they're nothing professional. I can post them when I get home, though.

• Members

Is that Firebreather track double tracked or what?

Did you steal the big before the riff comes in from the record? I love the heavy guitar sound they get. Thrice is a major factor in me wanting to get the AC30/Rat thing.

• Members

Is that Firebreather track double tracked or what?

Did you steal the big before the riff comes in from the record? I love the heavy guitar sound they get. Thrice is a major factor in me wanting to get the AC30/Rat thing.

It is double tracked, yes. I moved the mic in between takes over to the other speaker, so the phasing is a bit different on either side, and I used the Lil '59 coil split so it sounds semi-close to the baritone Jaguar Teppei used on the actual recording. I also lifted the intro sound from the CD, yes.. and stretched it out so I could rock out over it (which is why it sounds sort of bit-crushed when the guitars drop out).

They influenced me as on the Rat thing, actually the same day I saw Thrice live last Feb., I went to the Toronto ampfest in the afternoon. Great time up there, met alot of awesome forumites, and I played a Vox AC15 Heritage up there that changed my whole opinion on good guitar tone. A/B'd with my Recto I had at the time, no contest haha. Blew my mind, I put it up for sale the second I came home.

• Members

That's crazy man.

I used to rock a Recto and then went to the Hiwatt but it's such an unforgiving, high-headroom amp that sometimes I wish I had something a little more forgiving and warm. Every mistake gets utterly highlighted and it stays really pristine and hi-fi sounding even at crazy volume. This has its benefits, but it also has its drawbacks.

Since getting the small Cornford Harlequin which has built in gain I've remember just how much fun having an EL84 amp with overdrive is. I know the AC30s don't have built in drive but I seem to crave that warm EL84 tone all of a sudden. Not to mention a 2x12 is a lot more portable and space friendly than a huge 100-watt head and 2x12 cab. Seeing Thrice do their heavy rock thang with Teles and an AC30 was quite inspiring too.

Choices man, choices.

• Members

That's crazy man.

I used to rock a Recto and then went to the Hiwatt but it's such an unforgiving, high-headroom amp that sometimes I wish I had something a little more forgiving and warm. Every mistake gets utterly highlighted and it stays really pristine and hi-fi sounding even at crazy volume. This has its benefits, but it also has its drawbacks.

Since getting the small Cornford Harlequin which has built in gain I've remember just how much fun having an EL84 amp with overdrive is. I know the AC30s don't have built in drive but I seem to crave that warm EL84 tone all of a sudden. Not to mention a 2x12 is a lot more portable and space friendly than a huge 100-watt head and 2x12 cab. Seeing Thrice do their heavy rock thang with Teles and an AC30 was quite inspiring too.

Choices man, choices.

Well, in your defense, a Hiwatt ontop of a 2x12 is going to take up the same amount of "space" as an AC30. Plus you have them seperate so it's much easier to move them. AC30s dont come with wheels, only 3 handles on top because Vox knows that {censored} is friggin hea-vy.

But I totally understand about the Hiwatt, sounds like an old-school head: cumbersome, clear and very very loud. A Vox would be the perfect marriage between the Hiwatt and the Cornford tone-wise. Teppei's AC30 is the TBX version with the Greenbacks in it, but for the perfect mix of clarity and warmth, the Celestion Blues really are my favourite speaker of all time. They stay tight, they're not shrill and they breakup perfectly when you goose up the volume. Like whoa.

Bring your Teles and go demo some! I'd imagine they have plenty of Voxes over in the UK. But extra points if you can find one with the Wharfdales and one with the Blues so you can see what I'm talking about.

• Members

the FKR, and the BYOC Mighty Mouse.

I didn't include those on the list because the BYOC is in a kit - I'm not allowed anywhere near a soldering gun. And the FKR, well... If you know where I can buy one besides Ebay (maybe one shows up once a year), please let me know.

• Members

I didn't include those on the list because the BYOC is in a kit - I'm not allowed anywhere near a soldering gun. And the FKR, well... If you know where I can buy one besides Ebay (maybe one shows up once a year), please let me know.

You can buy the BYOC kits pre-assembled and unfinished for a few bucks more. I think axeandyoushallreceive.com does them up.

The FKR Ive only seen in pictures. That {censored} is harder to find than Bigfoot.

Archived