OT: school me on EQ

jhamnett

• Members

It seems that EQ pedals seem to have a high regard in this forum. I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deville that's set for the rule of "6" (Treble 6, Bass 3, Mids 2... 6 = 3 x 2). I love how this sounds with the preamp juiced (volume pedal in the FX loop to tame the volume), especially with some fuzz or OD in front. Note that this is really the only dirt I'm happy with from my amp... I'd much rather get better saturation at low volumes without the volume pedal mess... so I can use it for swells.

Now, how much would an EQ shape the sound in the FX loop after the volume pedal? What applications would this be useful for? I have a treble booster and use my TS-808 as a clean boost (sounds too much like the amp's OD, IMHO), so I think I have those areas covered. Maybe for a different rhythm sound or a different type of lead sound?

Main styles (that I attempt) are 70s and fuzzy, but I'm into modern stuff, especially Jack White (Whammy on its way this week). I'm not so much into the brootalz, but I'm pissed that it's the one sound I really can't dial in... probably due to the amp/EQ.

Or maybe I should sell the amp and get an AC30... saw the PGS video last night for the AC30CCH and, um, yeah... :love:

• Members

Bump for more responses. I'm interested in this thread too.

BTW, I've owned (and sold) a GE-7. It was pretty noisy. I may be in the market for another graphic EQ soon, this time I'll go for the MXR. fwiw.

• Members

Fish n chips. Went from modded (not sniper) GE-7 to dano.

I dont notice a thing.

AC30 would be cool but come on your weighting like a $100 purchase to a $1000+ purchase.

There would be an offset with selling the HRD. I have Indyguitarist mods to try on the OD channels so maybe that'll sound better afterward. I just like the idea of the master volume after the poweramp section on certain AC30 channels, makes the amp very "user friendly" to get that EL84 OD at acceptable levels.

It seems like the Fish 'n Chips is a good decision regardless of the amp change, though. Another idea would be to put a master volume pot in on the amp, but I'd have to study the schematic more to figure that out.

Archived