nos tubes

• Members

(besides the fact that they're not very cheap)

There's the reason. That tube you posted would probably go for $25 to $50, whereas an older GE or RCA might fetch as much as $100.

On the other hand, a matched pair of NOS RCA 6L6's can go for as much as $500.

Everyone wants good tone, but not everyone is willing to spend as much or more on a set of tubes as they spent on their amps.

• Members

shoot me down in flames, but I think if you are careful in your selection there are current production tubes that sound just as good (Watford Valves Harma's in particular) I just don't think the extra cost is justified.

• Members

shoot me down in flames, but I think if you are careful in your selection there are current production tubes that sound just as good (Watford Valves Harma's in particular) I just don't think the extra cost is justified.

agreed! just another trying to rake your azz through the coals

• Members

u {censored}s ever actually try nos tubes in a great amplifier?

If you think they sound better in your amp fine, I can't hear it in mine....sorry if you are offended by that.

Have you tried high quality modern cryo valves?....or are you just 'vintage' obsessed?

• Members

I have about 45 to 50 nos tubes sitting around. All checked on the tester to see if they are still good. Have used them in 4 different decent amps and you know what they aren't any better than the new stuff out there. Lots of times they are worse.:)

• Members

I've compared some NOS RCA 6v6's to Tungsols, and the RCA's were slightly better. But it would never justify the cost for me. Luckily the amp is cathode biased so I can just swap in the RCA's once in a while when I feel like it without having to do a bias adjustment. This way they'll last forever.

• Members

I've tried NOS Mullards in a Cornford Carrera and a Vox AC15TBX. I went back to Harmas because I found the Mullards too warm for me. They would have been perfect in the Cornford if I was playing in a Teenage Fanclub tribute band but I felt the Mullards took away some of the edge that I like with the Harmas. I found the same using Mullards in a Cornell Romany Plus too. In the Romany, I found I actually liked a combination of EHX and JJ tubes.

Arguing over valves is like the pedals versus rack debate. It's another argument over sound that is purely subjective. I can't say I hate NOS tubes. In my setup now, I prefer Harmas and EHX tubes but, were I playing that AC15 again, there are situations when I would use Mullards.

• Members

i like good NOS tubes, but they are on the endangered species list.

plus...how can you really KNOW they are truly nOS?

true NOS tubes from GE, RCA, Mullard, etc.....will outlast ANY current production tube as far as service life is concerned.

my fave NOS tubes are sylvania 6L6 and telefunken/mullard/amperex 12ax7s.

most people will be more than happy with decent current production tubes, though.

and i'm not paying $500 for a pair of 6L6s......i just always stop in to old electronics and TV repair shops and scavenge tubes from time to time.

some of the best tubes i have gotten have been from old home organs that were at thrift stores or in the garbage pile.

• Members

I'm not NOS obsessed by any stretch, but I also don't mind dropping a little $$$ on good, old, preamp tubes. I've got "tested-as-new" Mullards in v1 & v2 of my HIWATT & I expect them to last for quite some time. I've got an old GE & an old JAN Phillips in my Vibroverb RI and like them fine, though neither was much $$$, actually, not much more than decent new production. I settle for new stuff in less important pre positions and for power tubes. I couldn't care less what others use - for me, I like knowing that my amps are using valves that are close to what the amps were designed to use. For that reason, I'll happily keep JJs in my Tiny Terror.

• Members

I've heard some incredible sounding NOS tubes, they're just so expensive.

I may just be ingnant, but what's stopping manufacturers today from making tubes that are as good as NOS ones?

spec'd out to orignal rca spec's and tested to not just be a light bulb.

they can but won't

Archived