Custom Filter Pedal: Any Suggestions?

Sad Darwin

• Members

Do you guys know of anyone that does custom work for stompbox filters? Death By Audio isn't responding. The Squarewave Parade doesn't have the time. Do you know of any other options out there?

What I'm looking for seems to be pretty specific. I'm looking for a two sided filter in stompbox form, with both sides being capable of LP/HP/BP and a balence knob to mix between the two sides. Expression pedal inputs would be great too. If you guys know of something similar in existance please let me know.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It can be done although I would go with a rehouse situation rather than a custom pedal. Mainly because 2 rehoused pedals is only going to cost you the pedals plus a rehouse fee of probably about $100. A custom pedal is extremely expensive to make. It would probably cost $1000+ to custom make a custom filter from scratch like that. It would take a ton of labor and generally be a hassle. You could probably get into a dual rehouse of something like a pair of Mini QTrons for around $300 and have what you need.

• Members

It can be done although I would go with a rehouse situation rather than a custom pedal. Mainly because 2 rehoused pedals is only going to cost you the pedals plus a rehouse fee of probably about $100. A custom pedal is extremely expensive to make. It would probably cost $1000+ to custom make a custom filter from scratch like that. It would take a ton of labor and generally be a hassle. You could probably get into a dual rehouse of something like a pair of Mini QTrons for around $300 and have what you need.

Thanks for the insight. Crazy thing is I think I'd be perfectly willing to do that if someone was willing to make it and it came out right. Have you had anything made custom yourself? It just sounds like you've had experience with that route.

Sad thing is that Frostwave made the "Resonator" and that thing was cheap, compact, and DAMN close to what I'm talking about. Not perfect, but so close that I wouldn't think twice. And as many may know Frostwave is sort of on a hiatus with no definite time table. He's making stuff, but I think he needed some breathing room with the backlog.

• Members

Ok, I'm starting to think I'm going with a graphic EQ like the Boss EQ 20 and a filter routed after that. There are several single sided filters that have LP/HP/BP capability so at this point I'm thinking I'm just comprimise and do that. Thanks for the input everyone. It seems like you'd have an easier time getting someone to design something custom if you're famous (see DBA's custom page http://www.deathbyaudio.net/ ....{censored}ers).

• Members

I think you could do it with a pair of Alesis Philtres and/or Inekos, and get a blend box. My guitarist has a TB looper made by Loooper.com, and it's got a expression pedal controlled blend function.

I know the woes of custom filters; I've been looking for someone to build me a low pass filter in a wah enclosure so I can fake drum and bass stuff with my bass guitar rig. So far, no dice.

• Members

I know the woes of custom filters; I've been looking for someone to build me a low pass filter in a wah enclosure so I can fake drum and bass stuff with my bass guitar rig. So far, no dice.

Tell me about it. I've really been considering getting into creating my own (and maybe other peoples) pedals after the last couple months. Getting people to take on a special project is like pulling teeth. I know the learning curve could be steap but it would be insanely rewarding.

• Members
pluto, Bi-filter nearly impossible to find.

I hate you for mentioning this!!! That's seriously just about perfect. Googled Pluto Music Systems and San Francisco in every possible conjugation imaginable and only came up with this: http://filters.muziq.be/model/pluto/dualfilter

pluto_dualfilter_001.jpg

That thing is freaking flawless. Do they not exist anymore? What the hell happened, did they just make one awesome product and vanish?

• Members
I hate you for mentioning this!!! That's seriously just about perfect. Googled Pluto Music Systems and San Francisco in every possible conjugation imaginable and only came up with this:
http://filters.muziq.be/model/pluto/dualfilter

pluto_dualfilter_001.jpg

That thing is freaking flawless. Do they not exist anymore? What the hell happened, did they just make one awesome product and vanish?

I believe Analog Tom has one for sale. I think it was $10,000 but I dont remember exactly.

• Members

You can find frostwave resonators for sale used about once a month or so. Probably about $300.

Otherwise, you might be able to mod and rehouse a couple wah pedals. I don't know much about how filter circuits work, but a wah is a bandpass filter - you might be able to covert one to multimode without too much trouble.

Other than that, Sherman filterbank?

• Members

how about these guys?

i second this!! he made that pedal as a request from me and believe me it's better than the frostwave and thta dual pluto pedal above, i should know i had that pedal about 6 years ago, looks amazing sounds good to very good but not nearly filtered enough too squawkish, i also had the rarer cousin of that pedal the shark that did dual stereo filtering also very good but not insane, get the photron, it has a bunch of features that i found most useful over the years from my filter searches. It ain't cheap but it's so worth it when you know that part of the equation has been taken care of.

• Members

Death By Audio doesn't do custom orders. Horrible customer service, IMO. I was promised from Oliver Ackerman that he would custom mod my Harmonic Transformer and then he never responded and when I found a number to reach they said that it was too bad because they no longer did custom work.

Yeah, that's kind of the impression I'm getting at the moment. I can totally understand that Oliver is the main man, and probably does all the circuit design, and I know he's opening for NIN right now. All of that is totally excusable, but really, I've emailed them twice. You would think they could cram an auto response into their site. If I can't get a human to tell me they're not open to it, can't I at least get a robot (not the pedal of the same name)?

• Members

i second this!! he made that pedal as a request from me and believe me it's better than the frostwave and thta dual pluto pedal above, i should know i had that pedal about 6 years ago, looks amazing sounds good to very good but not nearly filtered enough too squawkish, i also had the rarer cousin of that pedal the shark that did dual stereo filtering also very good but not insane, get the photron, it has a bunch of features that i found most useful over the years from my filter searches. It ain't cheap but it's so worth it when you know that part of the equation has been taken care of.

I'm checked that site and it's pretty comprehensive and thorough. He looks like he makes each part of what I'm talking about, and would be cool with rehousing it or anything for that matter. I mean he makes a pedal that's LP/BP/HP and he makes a dual parallel blender. All that combined is essentially what I'm looking for. I'm emailing him now. Thanks guys!

• Members

I'm checked that site and it's pretty comprehensive and thorough. He looks like he makes each part of what I'm talking about, and would be cool with rehousing it or anything for that matter. I mean he makes a pedal that's LP/BP/HP and he makes a dual parallel blender. All that combined is essentially what I'm looking for. I'm emailing him now. Thanks guys!

you won't regret it, Mario is the best and customer service you can count on. Super nice guy, get the Photron!! It does rad {censored} and rarely does boring {censored}. And Mario stands behind everything he builds.

• Members

wow Martone looks schweet

keep us posted

Definitely! I'm emailing now, and the only detail I can't decide on is whether I should include the options for series/parallel functionality and filter drive. I've heard that driving the filter on Moogerfooger LP's gives a sort of Tubey grit. Do you guys think it's worth it to add it on?

(side note I can't believe I'm even debating these options. After the relative indifference I've been met with from everyone I've pitched this idea to, I've come to a conclusion....Mario {censored}ing rocks. There, I said it.)

Archived