Possible to 'low-jack' your gear?

!i!i!i!i!i!

You are correct about the companies that specialize in music equipment. But...some companies still won't cover anything if used for commercial purposes. I'm just speaking from personal experience when I looked into this. Every company is different....so do your due dilligence.

Absolutely - you do need to maker sure what is covered, and under what circumstances. If you gig a lot, make sure your insurance covers your gear even if it gets stolen on the way to, on the way back from, or at the gig itself.

If you're a member of the Musician's Union, or a BMI or ASCAP member, insurance is available through them at a reasonable rate. If not, check various agencies through Google. Try "music equipment insurance" for the search terms - you should get quite a few hits. Just make sure you know what is covered before plunking down your drachmas. ;)

• Members

Homeowners and renters insurance is not going to cover your gear when you are using it for commercial purposes, even if you schedule things on itemized floaters.

I bought a policy with Music Pro Insurance. I haven't ever entered a claim with them, so I can't vouch for that part of their service. You can get $10,000 for $200 per year. One weird thing is that their policies only run from June 20 to June 20. So if you buy the policy in May, get ready to pay $200 again in June. Anyway, you can manage your itemized list through their website, even with the ability to upload a spreadsheet.

It is an open-peril type policy, meaning all hazards are covered, with exceptions such as War, Dishonest acts, Wear and tear, etc. There is also an exclusion about stuff stolen from an unattended, unlocked vehicle or a vehicle with no visible signs of forced entry.

https://www.musicproinsurance.com/InstEquip.aspx

• Members

At your gig if you have multiple guitars put them all in cases and run a chain through the handles of all of them and lock it tight. It's easy to walk off with one guitar case... try moving 10 of them at once without anyone noticing.

this needs bumping, it's good advice. a simple, light bike chain or something is plenty, just connect all your {censored} together, much harder for someone to lift it...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Everyone's getting their gear ripped off - and the police's system just plain sucks in recovering. Why? First off it uses serial numbers - and the system doesn't use fuzzy logic - it has to match exactly - and there is too much possibility for human error. PLUS someone has to actively conduct a serial number search for your gear in the system - think a cop/detective is going to spend time doing that?

Your best bet if you get ripped off is to contact the local musician community - we are the ones going in to the stores to check out new gear - we are the ones who are going to find it (hopefully b4 the scum collectors who drool over the thought of buying stolen gear.)

Archived