Anyone Know What Gear HUM Used?

amaleelake

• Members

Yeah, they go back to my high school days as well. I always liked what I heard from them, but I never pursued them until now. They have some incredibly heavy tones. It is a really cool dynamic coupled with the singers softish voice.

Thanks for the tip on the amps :thu: Any idea what they use for distortion? I can't imagine that their distorted tones don't come from a pedal...

• Members

I like your hair long just finished playing :)

Cool to know the guitar/amp combo - thanks!

I figured that it might be a muff, but I just think that there has to be something else going on as it just sounds so much heavier than other muff sounds that I have heard before.

I can't find any info on anyof their fan sites - weird...

• Members

in addition, i believe they used a few boss distortions, maybe a ds-2 or df-2 or something.

Yeah, it was definitely something boss...it was either a ds-2 or df-2--I remember that cause I owned both pedals and remember one of them was used by Hum.

I ended up selling my df-2 to Tim from the band Ash.

• Members

huge sound live = turning an amp up without cranking the preamp to 11, and/or making sure theres a decent mix altogether.

while i'd certainly not say 'stay away from their pedals,' i'm damn certain that their sounds could be elicited from dozens and dozens of pedals, when paired with a cranked hiwatt/orange/sound city/etc --- or many, many other amps if that amp's preamp isnt cranked up. iirc, theres a lot of df-2, which was largely a ds-1 circuit --- one of the most copied and generic sounding dirts out there (read: nothing special at all).

edit: that youtube clip sounds like some poorly modded/broken ds-1s, which should be pretty easy to find.

Archived