New Favorite Fuzz (soulkitchen content)

Blungo

• Members

I know, i know. Favorites in the honeymoon period can be totally invalid days or weeks later, but this fuzz is knocking my socks off. Super gainy and spitty with nice sustain on leady stuff. Cleans up just enough when you roll the volume back. Fuzzier than a superfuzz, kinda like an extreme silicon fuzzface.

I love this thing.

I know Andy's work is very politically incorrect here, but this thing is tits.

It's my recently arrived soulkitchen El Toro fuzz. I heart it much.

9453_12.JPG

98a8_12.JPG

• Members

All that drama really is unfortunate, because everything he's done sounds amazing to my ears.

Yeah, my Sugarbuzz (which arrived about 5 months late and missing a screw on one knob) is an ok pedal. It's not like the greatest fuzz I've played or own, but it's not the worst. It's just not very dynamic. Decent at a harshy wall of fuzz.

• Members

It seems everything he sells is a "steal"
:eek:

Ha ha. More like a loan. He seems to view building as, you loaned him some money, some time down the road he'll pay you back with a pedal.

• Members

It is indeed. I think it was a steal at $100.

The merits of PTP vs PCB aside, carbon comps are noisy, drifty and sensitive to temperature. The so called mojo that some people think they give in amps is from some very mild distortion they cause and you need a lot of current going through them for that. In a 9v pedal?

LOL

• Members

that is great stuff on the inside. You can tell he puts a lot of personally expression in his build. You just don't build a pedal like that without some sort of talent. His swirly designs are great too.

I agree, as a circuit designer, builder and pedal artist, Andy is way up there. The El Toro is a knockout, even with those "crappy" carbon comp resistors.

Too bad his dealings with folks have been less than stellar, i feel lucky.

In regards to the post above yours, i was reading some facts about fuzz written by an engineer, he stated that because the trannys in a fuzz are run so below their critical parameters that any tranny of the correct polarity should sound the same as another in a given circuit. I think that's something we can all agree is just bunk. I think sometimes the sound of fuzzes isn't pure engineering, but somewhat of an art. It seems that the sound of a given fuzz might really be the sum of all it's parts.

Archived