why do people here hate ME so much?

RoboPimp

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Me = Robo

ME = multiple effects

I don't hate either. Yeah a ME probably does a bunch of cool stuff, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm too vain and irrational to buy one instead of a single effect stompbox.

clever....that damn Robo is clever.

• Members

I'm curious how good the Whammy function on these sounds compared to a regular Whammy. I listened to the sound sample on MF and it sounded as good as my Whammy II. If I could get that plus the extra effects thrown in I think I'd sell my Whammy. This is probably a great pedal for practicing with headphones or throwing down some scratch tracks. I wouldn't want this to be my only pedal but it could be a useful tool in addition to all my other pedals.

• Members

I use a Boss GT-8, just in the effects loop of my amp. It comes in handy in our cover band.

I rarely use the models or the distortion. I use amp distortion and have some other pedals in front of the amp (wah, boost, compressor, filter, graphic EQ). It is useful for quickly moving from song to song, instantly bringing up my presets. It allows the effects chain to be edited.

I mostly use it for phaser, chorus, delay, tremolo, vibrato, synth, volume pedal, pedal bend (sorry, I don't know how it compares to the Whammy), MIDI switching of my amp's vol#2, reverb and channels. I also plug an electric-acoustic guitar into the GT-8's built-in effects loop. It goes through a preamp model, then into my amp return.

This unit is probably overkill for these things (since I'm not using the preamps), but it makes life easier when flying through 50 or so cover tunes on stage. The MIDI switching function is damn handy.

It sounds pretty OK. Not great for snooty tone aficionados, but gets your basic Boss sounds out there, plus provides a bunch of stuff that Boss doesn't usually provide, like parametric EQ and pedal bend, etc. And if you like tweaking parameters, you'll be occupied for days. Another plus for me is the GT-8 has a lot of knobs, unlike the GT-10 model, that took away many knobs.

But for the record, I actually have other pedal set-ups outside the cover band deal. Fuzzes and overdrives, distortion and noise and analog delays and other fun stuff either into a JC-120 or my Laney amp.

• Members

I'm curious how good the Whammy function on these sounds compared to a regular Whammy. I listened to the sound sample on MF and it sounded as good as my Whammy II. If I could get that plus the extra effects thrown in I think I'd sell my Whammy. This is probably a great pedal for practicing with headphones or throwing down some scratch tracks. I wouldn't want this to be my only pedal but it could be a useful tool in addition to all my other pedals.

exactly my point.

I'm not saying replace everything with an ME, but yeah, it sounds as good as a dedicated whammy pedal IMO and has a {censored}load of other cool effects.

oh, plus it's $50 LESS than the stand alone whammy pedal

• Members

Not sure if you would consider the Synth Wah and the XP1000 as ME, but I love them; though, I have to say, the tone in most digital effects does not compare to the tone of my analog EHX effects. As cliche as that sounds, it really is true. I'm not a corksniffer, but even I can tell a big difference.

I agree with you, I still use my dirt pedals and small stone as the digital dirt and phaser just aren't the same to me but I wouldn't say the "tone" doesn't "compare" it's just different.

I'm just saying they can be used in conjunction with other pedals and can cover a lot of ground instead of having 20 pedals for a sound you might use once a night at a gig. Honestly I do see a lot of people using them at gigs but no one here.

Archived