The Official Whammy Lounge

Stubacca

• Members

So there has be much talk about the Whammy as of late and it's only right that this monster gets his own longe. There was a thread started yesterday about the Whammy and it had a few settings in it. I always like to see what others are using it for and what settings they are using... so, state your case. How do you use it and list those settings!! Oh... and what version are you rocking?

There should be a few threads on here that you'll find me talking about the deep setting that I use. I find I use it a lot with my clean guitar tone to add a little chorus-ish vibe. Of couse, the two octave up gets some use too. I haven't used the harmonies much though... any suggestions?

• Members

I use the octave.

I also use the shalow chorus thingy on clean guitar with reverb for a song we have.

I also use the pitch up +1 for a few solos

As well as the pitch down -1 for a song.

Though i feel as if pending on the venue and how your being mic'd, if mic'd at all. It's hard for it to cut through sometimes.

Also. I need a TB loop like whoa. That pedal eats a buffered tone like the beer {censored}s on a sunday afternoon.

• Members

I have an XP-100, Whammy Wah. I like to use the octave up patch (13) and then play an arpeggio with the pedal in position to give me the whole octave shift. If I play hard enough I get some kick-ass random glitches and loop the phrase and play over it. When I use my whammy I want it to sound like an effect - I am not looking for anything 'natural' or subtle.

• Members

In.

I had one a while ago and got rid of it cause I didn't know how to incorporate it in my music. I got it again when I started missing it and realized that I really did use it more than I thought I did.

I have heard this from a lot of people!

• Members

it can do + 1 + 2 - 1 -2

As in you play a single note "A" string. Then you turn the effect on. +1 will give you one octave. +2 will give you 2 octaves. Etc on the -

But then there is the actual "octave" portion of the pedal. Where it plays your not and an octave of that note. Really cool for a more bassy type part. Don't really care for the high pitched. Sounds really thin and fake.

• Members

The Whammy is one of my favourite pedals. I'll always have one as long as I play guitar, which will probably be forever. Unless my arms get cut off or something.

Even then I would rock the treadle back and forth and make spaceship noises with my mouth. Whammy for life.

• Members

wait, it can do up 1? I thought it could only do down:confused:
:confused:
:confused:

WH-4's do.

Two Up

One Up

One Down

Two Down

Three Down

Drop Tune - Which takes it down one full step.

The Detune section which is really like a Chorus, Deep & Shallow there.

The Harmony section is my favorite, it takes your dry signal, sends it though, then adds the octave effect ontop of it, with Toe Down being one setting, and Heel Down being another, in that section there are these settings.

1 up / 1 down

5th down / 4th down

4th down / 3rd down

5th up / 7th up

5th up / 6th up

4th up / 5th up

3rd up / 4th up

b3rd up / 3rd up

2nd up / 3rd up

Whammys do alot. :thu:

• Members

I usually only use it for 1 octave down and up, but for all different kinda of stuff. Mostly for freak outs and pick slides, but also for some ambient stuff used in conjunction with delay--you can get some cool laser sounds and rockets blasting off. Used with fuzz. I'm very inspired by Ichirou Agata--even though I really can't get as much use out of it as he does, or as controlled and precise.

• Members

I bought a Whammy II in 1996, since I was big into Pantera and Rage Against The Machine around that time. One thing that is great about it is that you can step through the settings, unlike the original Whammy and the new WH-4.

I liked to freak people out with what I call "the two octave squeeze" (sounds like the note is being squeezed to death) that Tom Morello uses in the "Killing In The Name" solo.

I also liked using the octave down option for emulating EVH divebombs, although I guess there is an actual divebomb setting on the latest version now. It was fun doing that in tandem with a digital delay.

For harmonies, I played around with the 4th/5th one and also the 5th/6th settings to simulate some trippy blues things. But the most useful setting I found was using the flat 3rd/major 3rd setting for instant guitar harmonies. As long as you can remember which one to use for whichever note you are on, it sounds really cool. The "intelligent" harmonizers eliminate this worry by simply setting the key and going for it, which is better (you can just concentrate on playing instead of if your foot is in the right position).

I don't play it as much as I used to these days, but I'm hoping to bring it out of its early retirement for some future stuff.

• Members

Ok, so I have been searching for Whammy videos and all I can find is the crazy 2 octave up site... anyone know where to look for vids on the harmony section?

Pro Guitar Shop's demo of the Whammy shows some stuff, since they go thought EVERY setting.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived