Anyone here ever replaced an Ensoniq ESQ-1 battery?

ChasIII

• Members

Just wondering how hard it can be? I have a friend that is pretty good at soldering. I got it at a really good price. I want to try and turn a profit plus learn how to change the battery. Basically I want the experience and profit.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.:thu:

• Members

I had my battery replaced. I just drive the car....don't work under the hood.

I got rid of my ESQ1 because of the brittle keys....I had half of them taped down to be level with the rest..that center peice 'anchor' can't hold up to organ sweeps....

• Members

you aint gonna make much.. just open er up and be careful. keep all the screws, and make notes of what goes where. If you'r elucky you may not have to solder at all..

I got it for 85 dollars. Repair shops want 100 dollars to get it changed. the part is about 8 dollars. It is in great shape other than the battery. It still works but just does not hold internal presets.

• Members

I replaced one in the '95 Ensoniq SQ-1. Make sure when removing old battery you MUST carefully clip the fragile leads welded to battery leaving about 1/2" leads @ 90 degree angle........Take new tested 3v battery with leads welded on both sides & carefully intertwine leads together with leads on PCB board.....check polarity before you begin to solder battery in place........push & hold the 2 buttons down, then pwr-up to reset factory ROM patches, Then replace deleted user patches/patterns with memory data cards.....that should work. cheers:

• Members

Flakes! flakes!

Flakes! flakes!

They dont do no good

They never be workin

When they oughta should

They waste your time

Theyre wastin mine

Californias got the most of them

Boy, they got a host of them

Swear tgod they got the most

At every business on the coast

They got the flakes

Flakes! flakes!

They cant fix yer brakes

You ask em, wheres my motor?

Well, it was eaten by snakes...

You can stab n shoot n spit

But they wont be fixin it

Theyre lyin an lazy

They can be drivin you crazy

Take it away, bob...

I asked as nice as I could

If my job would

Somehow be finished by friday

Well, them whole damn weekend

Came n went, frankie

Wanna buy some mandies, bob?

n they didnt do nothin

But they charged me double for sunday

You know, no matter what you do,

They gonna cheat n rob you

Then theyll send you a bill

Thatll get your senses reelin

And if you do not pay

They got computer collectors

Thatll get you so crazy

til your headll go through th ceilin

Yes it will!

Im a moron, n this is my wife

Shes frosting a cake

With a paper knife

All what we got heres

American made

Its a little bit cheesey,

But its nicely displayed

Well we dont get excited when it

Crumbles n breaks

We just get on the phone

And call up some flakes

They rush on over

n wreck it some more

n we are so dumb

Theyre linin up at our door

Well, the toilet went crazy

Yersterday afternoon

The plumber he says

Never flush a tampoon!

This great information

Cost me half a weeks pay

And the toilet blew up

Later on the next day-ay-eee-ay

Blew up the next day

Woo-ooo

We are millions n millions,

Were coming to get you

Were protected by unions

So dont let it upset you

Cant escape the conclusion

Its probably gods will

That civilization

Will grind to a standstill

And we are the people

Who will make it all happen

While yer children is sleepin,

Yer puppy is crappin

You might call us flakes

Or something else you might coin us

But we know youre so greedy

That youll probably join us

Were coming to get you, were coming to get you

Were coming to get you, were coming to get you...

FZ

• Members

Just wondering how hard it can be? I have a friend that is pretty good at soldering.

I got it at a really good price. I want to try and turn a profit plus learn how to change the battery. Basically I want the experience and profit.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
:thu:

Like the other dude said - it's a button cell with welded on leads that you'll want to clip off.

I can't remember now if I pulled the mainboard out to desolder the leads (from the circuit board after clipping them) but you'll have to find a way to get them out of there.

Be VERY careful soldering wires to the ends of the new battery - too much heat and the case can fracture, releasing some nasty shit.

You'll find that the solder will not stick to the battery, so what I did was took an old knife and scratched a cross-hatch pattern on the ends of the battery.

Then lightly heat the battery and let the solder flow into those grooves you made (don't try to solder the wires on just now).

Then get some good solid core copper wire, cut the lengths to what you will need, tin the ends, and solder to the ends of the battery.

I also used a hot glue gun to hot glue the battery to the mainboard to keep it from moving around in there.

You do know how to open the top of the case, right? It's on hinges so once you remove the screws on the top the whole lid flips back.

The battery is towards the bottom left corner of the mainboard IIRC; you can't miss it.

• Members

I took my VFX to Mars Music and had their electronic tech replace my battery. He fried the motherboard on my synth. 6 months later he replaced my excellent condition VFX (previously great condition), with a beat up VFX, that works. But, guess what! The damn batterie is also dead. I have been afraid to have anyone touch it, so there it sits. Hope you have better luck than I did.

• Members

Thanks everyone for all the help. I will be taking this information you have given me into account. At this point I'm not in a big hurry to attempt fixing it but I do believe it will be a good learning experience.

Thanks again.

• Members

Thanks everyone for all the help. I will be taking this information you have given me into account. At this point I'm not in a big hurry to attempt fixing it but I do believe it will be a good learning experience.

Thanks again.

It's easy man - it took me less than 15 minutes from start to finish.

I also replaced all of the caps in the power supply; ESQ-1 has a funky power supply design with a ton of electrolytic caps that will be going bad.

If your board frequently glitches at startup or during playing, that is probably the issue.

Archived