Good compact mixer for mixing synths?

kpatz

• Members

i've been using a pair of rolls line mixers for live use for some time now, but only because i got a good deal on them.

they're probably comperable in quality to the behringer line mixer listed earlier in the thread.

i don't think i'd record a final take with either, though.

• Members

i've been using a pair of rolls line mixers for live use for some time now, but only because i got a good deal on them.

they're probably comperable in quality to the behringer line mixer listed earlier in the thread.

i don't think i'd record a final take with either, though.

guys, If I simply want to play 2 synths together and mix them into a stereo headphone, what's the simplest and cheapest way of doing that at high quality.

Basically, I want to turn on 2 synths, and play them both at the same time, while listening to the mix on my headphones. No speakers, no recording, no computer, etc.

Is the Ross MX28 my best option?

The 2 synths that I'm using here are V-Synth GT and Fusion 8HD - but that shouldn't impact the answer to my question.

RLLMX28.jpg

that's the one I'm thinking about.

• Members

I personally wouldn't want to even run my synth through a cheap mixer. If you're recording your synth through there, it would just mess up the sound and degrade the quality. If it's just for play, then it's ok.

They're perfectly suited to a rough mix. Ideally have a patchbay for everything in front of them normalled through so you can trivially break it out when you're trying to record something. Also, if you have enough gear to not leave it hooked up to recording interfaces of recording gear, the fact that it's only 1RU is pretty great too.

B>

• Members

I personally wouldn't want to even run my synth through a cheap mixer. If you're recording your synth through there, it would just mess up the sound and degrade the quality. If it's just for play, then it's ok.

I think nowadays you gotta try really hard to find a cheap mixer that noticeable degrades sound quality.

I run all my synths into Behringer RX1602 which in turn is plugged into Soundcraft Compact4, both of which are cheap mixers, and even then I don't notice any sound quality degradation. :idk:

• Members

how about this one, pls read my post above for my needs - thanks.

Hey DGX, basically anything will work for your two-synths w/ headphones role. The other mixers being tossed around are probably more capable than you need. However, consider what other mixing tasks you might have in the future... the units you've suggested are very limited. If you don't think you're ever going to need more, either of those micro mixers would be fine. :wave:

• Members

im using Yamaha MG10/2.

Nice and quiet + easy to use.

mg102_medium_jpg.jpg

I may have to confirm but I recently picked up one of those on sale at Guitar Center. No complaints about my Behringer Xenyx, but we needed more inputs, plus the Yamaha has a built-in compressor. My bandmate's voice has a wide dynamic range, and she can overload the input unexpectedly at times.

• Members

let me tell you guys, I got the Rolls MX28 and it's so good. It does the job well. The only issue I have with it is that it's always on unless I unplug the ac adapter from the back. It's high quality, and it's so small that I have it sitting on top of my Alesis Fusion 8HD. It has 3 stereo ins, so I have 2 synths plus my iPod, and a stereo out plus stereo headphones out. It's $70 and beats any Behringer as far as quality. I looked at many Behringers below $100 but you end up getting a bunch of things like EQ and things that you'll never use and made of so poor quality.

Rolls is made in the USA and has a solid metal casing. Really great unit.

• Members

I am currently using (for Live) a older MIDIMAN FINELINE single rack space line mixer. It also has 4XLRS for dynamic (non phantom powered) mics. And it has a few send and return channels, so it gives me some flexibility. Works GREAT for what I use it for, and it is quite quiet.

In the past I also used a Mackie 1202 VLZ which has just been a fantastic workhorse.

I picked up the Midiman FINELINE very cheap. Couldn't be happier. Allows me a split Mono operation too, so I can send an independent feed to my monitor while sending another to the house. And up to 20 CHANNELS!

The Eurorac looks like a good option too.

Archived