Feedbacking telecaster

smrz

• Members

I've got an ASAT that has problems with feedback, and just read somewhere that I can solve it by taking off the bridge and putting a business card underneath to dampen the vibration of the bridge against the body. Anyone else done this or have anything to say about this kind of feedback problem?

• Members

I've got an ASAT that has problems with feedback, and just read somewhere that I can solve it by taking off the bridge and putting a business card underneath to dampen the vibration of the bridge against the body. Anyone else done this or have anything to say about this kind of feedback problem?

Best Problem Ever. just call it shoegaze.

• Members

Best Problem Ever. just call it shoegaze.

Its usually not musical swelling feedback though. Its instant squeeling feedback that doesn't sound good.

You might want to use a little electrical tape instead of a business card. It will be thinner and might provide more cushion too. You could also add some extra screws to the front of the bridge to hold it down tighter to the body too. Your pickup might be a little microphonic too. Telecasters are tricky. But {censored} if they dont sound awesome.

• Members
Squeely feedback isn't from the body resonating too much... that's a problem with your pickups

Hmm...I looked around a bit on the webz and it seemed like the consensus was that telecaster bridges can resonate (like a reed) if they aren't perfectly flat against the body, and then create a feedback loop. :idk: Next time I change strings, we'll see

• Members

Isn't the bridge pickup of a Tele ALWAYS microphonic?

That's been my experience. I don't play teles right now, but when I did...I would direct mount the bridge pup to the body...problem solved. The GE Smith sig tele has it this way.

• Members
Isn't the bridge pickup of a Tele ALWAYS microphonic? Being microphonic, it allows to pick up the resonance of the metal plate, giving teh toanz... That's how I believe it works anyway.
:idk:
Anyone can confirm that theory?

then why does it feed back when i'm on the neck pickup too?

• Members
Isn't the bridge pickup of a Tele ALWAYS microphonic? Being microphonic, it allows to pick up the resonance of the metal plate, giving teh toanz... That's how I believe it works anyway.
:idk:
Anyone can confirm that theory?

I get lots of feedback at higher gain with my tele, but it's always the "controlled swell" kind of feedback. Not the squeely "I'm not using potted pickups" kind of feedback.

• Members

my rondo tele came with carp stockies, fed back all the time. put the fender noiseless in there, presto. still hums a bit of course because they are single coils after all, but made a big difference. your ASAT should have came with nice mags in it though. must be the bridge. or bad electronics.

• Members

microphonic pickups >> get 'em potted. guitarnuts.com has instructions.

a microphonic pickup, regardless of how its mounted, is still gonna squeal, once a certain gain/volume level has been acheived. why? cuz its microphonic. like putting your microphone up to the PA spkr and turning up the volume until you've pierced your skull, its the same thing.

its got nothing to do with single coil hum, or bad magnets, or bad electronics.

Archived