Ion + JP8080 >> Radias

Yoozer

Guest Anonymous

As much as I like my Radias rack it won't be replacing my JP-8080. I don't want to lose those Roland saws and pads. The Ion is another story. Not a lot of personality but very versatile. I just don't use the Ion as much.

:love:

• Members

If you like the sound of the Radias, do it - you can always buy the Ion and JP-8080 again if you really miss them..

You could also consider plan "B", Yooz:

Wait on the Radias til it goes down in price on the used market, and in the meanwhile sell the Ion and the JP-8080 and get a used, original V-Synth for less than $1,000 - I assure you you're not going to miss the Ion, nor the 8080, in fact, I will sell my JP-8000 because the V-Synth can do most of its sounds AND A LOT MORE.

The V-Synth has a few issues, but in regard to value-for-money, it's really really good imho - I recently did a gig with it only (well, plus Reason backings on a laptop) and several non-musician people approached me telling me how much they loved the sound of the synth.

• Members

I had an ion when I got the radias. The ion is long gone. The radias is still here.

The JP is another story. I never owned one, but always liked the sound. if its something you rock with, then keep it.

Really! The Radias had more going for it than the Ion?

I don't think anything could replace the JP supersaw except maybe a SH201. Not sure if the Vsynth has the Supersaw pads down.... But the JP8K and the Radias seem like a good fit. The Radias seems really funky sounding in a good way. But it still didn't impress me too much when I dabled on it. On played it for ten minutes so it doesn't mean too much, except what I heard from the presets.

• Members

I don't think anything could replace the JP supersaw except maybe a SH201. Not sure if the Vsynth has the Supersaw pads down.... But the JP8K and the Radias seem like a good fit. The Radias seems really funky sounding in a good way. But it still didn't impress me too much when I dabled on it. On played it for ten minutes so it doesn't mean too much, except what I heard from the presets.

The presets, which are probably what you played, are mostly crap. the Radias doesnt come alive till you start programming a patch with it. Its particularly fun when you get the poor mans wave sequencing going (you can change the sample played back by OSC1 by modulating one of its parameters from mod sequencer). It has its flaws, but what doesnt? I bought mine when it first came out and have not regretted it, despite the price drops. What they sell for now is an absolute steel IMHO.

• Members

I don't think anything could replace the JP supersaw except maybe a SH201. Not sure if the Vsynth has the Supersaw pads down....

The V-Synth has the SuperSaw pads down, trust me

and check it out for yourself: ---> V-Synth SuperSaw pad example (no other fx added - sorry for the mild clipping, I set up the normalization too high and it clips in a couple of peaks)

• Members

Well, would you? ...

No. But only because I like the Ion. I don't have the JP, but I wouldn't even trade the Ion by itself straight up for Radias.

But, if you're bored with them. Sure, why not? Try it out and see if you like it better.

• Members

No. But only because I like the Ion. I don't have the JP, but I wouldn't even trade the Ion by itself straight up for Radias.

But, if you're bored with them. Sure, why not? Try it out and see if you like it better.

I wonder how anybody can be bored by the ION? 3 Osc - 2 MultiMode Filter w/ different filter models - prefilter- and postfilter-mixer - 2 LFOs - Tracking Gen - ModMatrix - velocity/release velocity - post saturation efx - S/H - 3 Env - ... and it sounds great too.

However, IMHO I would keep the ION/JP combo. The Radias has a very specific sound and feature set. It would not be a good replace it all synth.

• Members

I wonder how anybody can be bored by the ION? 3 Osc - 2 MultiMode Filter w/ different filter models - prefilter- and postfilter-mixer - 2 LFOs - Tracking Gen - ModMatrix - velocity/release velocity - post saturation efx - S/H - 3 Env - ... and it sounds great too.

However, IMHO I would keep the ION/JP combo. The Radias has a very specific sound and feature set. It would not be a good replace it all synth.

specs do not make a synth, sound does, and thats a highly subjective area. the Ion had nice specs, but I really did not like its tone outside of a very narrow range of bass sounds I could get out of it, and for that my Korg Prophecy still kills it. Again, this is subjective..

the radias doesnt have any more specific a sound than the Ion does. They are just different.

• Members

Never had an Ion- I have extreme Alesis resistance.

The JP8080 and Radias are VERY different. I always felt Roland had a better handle on sampled wave forms, and their filters are still some of the best. If they had put better op-amps and converters in the 8080, it would be a serious synth.

The Radias obviously is a modern instrument, the 8080 came out circa 1994.

Sonically the Radias holds its own, the FX are better and the vocoder is just a wee more intelligible. My gripe with the Radias is its just too damn weird to navigate in an expedited fashion.

• Members

The JP 8080 did come out around 98. I remember wanting one after seeing it in the store, back when MARS still existed. I eventually got one later on (actually bought it from a member of this forum).

But back on topic, I also own a Radias, and the two are quite different animals. The JP is great at emulating 80s Roland synths, among other things. It has bite when you want it to, as well as a certain smoothness for pads, etc. But it's simple. That's the thing about the JP. It has a somewhat simple, no frills sound. I actually like that about the JP. And it's a got a great vocoder. It's a tweaker's synth that's fun to program and yields fast results.

The Radias, OTOH, is difficult to categorize. It has its own trippy weirdness about it. The virtual patch bay and modulation sequencer really set it apart feature-wise from ANYTHING else out there, and on top of that you've got some really good filters, waveshaping, lots of nice sampled waveforms (reminiscent of my EMX), and even some decent drums, though I don't really use those.

I have to say that for sheer innovation, Korg makes the best sub-$1000 synth on the market today, bar none. They've scaled their multi-modeling synthesis idea into various products in some really interesting ways, and the Radias is pretty much the MMT flagship.

In truth, the Radias is like a $2,000 synth that came along at a time when $2,000 synths just weren't selling (much like my V-Synth), so now buyers are fortunate to get that much for half the price or less.

I'm glad I was able to get a Radias for under $1000 at a time when nobody was buying them, but at the same, I know this tends to discourage companies from putting out this kind of gear in the future. Rather than make a $2,000 synth and close them out within a year at $1000, companies will now simply make $800 synths with fewer features and sell them for $650 (e.g. the R3). The market has definitely shifted in the past 8 years. I foresee fewer "supersynths" in the future (Radias, Q, Virus, Supernova II, etc.) and in their place more low cost "gadget synths" (SH-201, R3, Electribes, Novation XioSynth, MicroKorg type synths, etc.).

. . . and of course, more rompler workstations with huge ROM blocks and advanced arpeggiators that are essentially like the SUV of the synth world -- strong sellers with the highest mark-up of any product on the market. They're the only synths whose price point stays up around the $2000 mark through the entire marketing cycle of the product.

Archived