Most fun effect you own...

ninjaaron

• Members

This is kinda like the desert island pedal thing, except it's not measuring necessity, just fun.

Mine is definitely my PS-5, especially now that I have the expression pedal. It does everything a Whammy does, plus smart harmonies and the weird flutter mode. The whammies and the smart harmonies can be combined to, so it will whammy in-key thirds and sixths.

It's a little too fun.

PS this thread is useless w/o pics

PS5-09b7aaaf147916c39b80f24a429bd02e.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

this

So, you are satisfied with your purchase?

to be honest, the whammies are actually a lot smoother w/o the expression pedal. I think that might actually be the better option for recording. Nothing beats an expression pedal live though.

• Members

EDIT: PS5-09b7aaaf147916c39b80f24a429bd02e.jpg

TCElectronicNovaDelayBig.jpg

d21817634bff1a753770b256524edba5.jpg

play a little diddy with the ps5 into the dl4 then to nova. mess with your time and repeats on the dl4 to get that crazy sound that well, you know. on top of that, keep your nova delay on a light echo setting. for kicks, you could place the ps5 between the dl4 and the nova

• Members

So, you are satisfied with your purchase?

to be honest, the whammies are actually a lot smoother w/o the expression pedal. I think that might actually be the better option for recording. Nothing beats an expression pedal live though.

VERY satisfied. i've been thinking about getting the expression pedal also but i was wanting to ask you what you thought. does it work well with the tremolo and flutter settings?

• Members
This is on my permantent Gas list... as in... I want it badly, but I will probably never buy it because it's not very practical for me.

i get that too. i really want one of these - but i wouldn't use it much, and would probably end up selling it.:facepalm:

most of my stuff is basic pedal-wise. OD, delay, flange, phase, compressor, chorus.

i only got a blue box because they are really cheap, and a bit of noise thrown in now and again is cool:thu:

• Members
i get that too. i really want one of these - but i wouldn't use it much, and would probably end up selling it.
:facepalm:

most of my stuff is basic pedal-wise. OD, delay, flange, phase, compressor, chorus.

i only got a blue box because they are really cheap, and a bit of noise thrown in now and again is cool:thu:

could you post a clip of the blue box and what it can do? i've been contemplating one of these amongst other pedz...

• Members

WMD - Geiger Counter:

I just bought the this thing and it's pretty freaking in depth for such a "niche" effect. Real audio to digital Bit Crushing, Sample Reduction, Wavetable Distortion, and even a good tubey distortion sound. :thu:

geigercounters.jpg

Moogerfooger - Freqbox:

Everybody here hates it, but I {censored}ing love this pedal. I've gotten two of the most original sounds I've ever made out of this thing.

1. An Orca like "part moog oscillator/part guitar" lead sound.
2. The thickest weirdest distortion ever. It litterally sounds like an overdriven oscillator attempting to play guitar chords, and not in a glitchy digital way... no no no, in a snarling wall of growl way ;)
add in the expression pedal and sync mode and you have yourself the distortion wah from hell......

mf107s.jpg

• Members

VERY satisfied. i've been thinking about getting the expression pedal also but i was wanting to ask you what you thought. does it work well with the tremolo and flutter settings?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'tremolo' setting. I'm guessing you mean the 'un-intelligent' pitch shift setting that they recommend for chords, which kinda has a tremolo like quality.

It doesn't work at all like it expected with any of the modes.

The T.Arm and Flutter modes work almost the same way they work without the expression pedal. You still have to step on the boss, and they still use the same speed settings. The expression pedal seems to control maximum pitch, so with the tow all the way down, it does what it does without. It's kinda weird.

With the other settings, (Detune, Harmonist, and Pitch Shift), it behaves more the way you would expect it to (controls the pitch in real time). The expression pedal doesn't effect the dry sound, only the effected sound, so you will normally turn the mix all the way up for normal whammy sounds. Of course, you can have the mix in the middle, and get some really cool sounds as well.

If you want normal harmony sounds, you just leave the toe all the way up.

It's pretty sweet to set the harmonist to a third or a sixth, and then 'intelligent' whammy between the two. It makes me wish the pedal had a setting for tenths.

Also, the Roland EV-5 has a small footprint, smaller than a standard wah or volume pedal by about an inch and a half. I know that is important to you.

It's pretty fun. Of course, the chip makes a smoother whammy sound than my foot does.

• Members

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'tremolo' setting. I'm guessing you mean the 'un-intelligent' pitch shift setting that they recommend for chords, which kinda has a tremolo like quality.

It doesn't work at all like it expected with any of the modes.

The T.Arm and Flutter modes work almost the same way they work without the expression pedal. You still have to step on the boss, and they still use the same speed settings. The expression pedal seems to control maximum pitch, so with the tow all the way down, it does what it does without. It's kinda weird.

With the other settings, (Detune, Harmonist, and Pitch Shift), it behaves more the way you would expect it to (controls the pitch in real time). The expression pedal doesn't effect the dry sound, only the effected sound, so you will normally turn the mix all the way up for normal whammy sounds. Of course, you can have the mix in the middle, and get some really cool sounds as well.

If you want normal harmony sounds, you just leave the toe all the way up.

It's pretty sweet to set the harmonist to a third or a sixth, and then 'intelligent' whammy between the two. It makes me wish the pedal had a setting for tenths.

Also, the Roland EV-5 has a small footprint, smaller than a standard wah or volume pedal by about an inch and a half. I know that is important to you.

It's pretty fun. Of course, the chip makes a smoother whammy sound than my foot does.

sorry, i refer to t. arm as the tremolo. as far as the footprint, i have a big board but don't want to have big pedals that don't do much. know of anything smaller than the roland?

• Members

sorry, i refer to t. arm as the tremolo. as far as the footprint, i have a big board but don't want to have big pedals that don't do much. know of anything smaller than the roland?

It was the smallest that I saw when I was shopping, but I did't look very hard. The PS-5 and the EV-5 together are still smaller than a Digitech whammy, and since it is a more modular format, you can manage your space better.

But it still takes up a fair amount of space.

Archived