jw112

• Members

which Compressor has the most Sustain?

i've tried:

keeley

dyna

4 different behringers

and a Tone press

some of these sounded good but did not add much sustain.

i played a Boss on display at GC and it had great sustain. But the sound quality was not great. i'm thinking about getting a Humphrey's modded Boss or a wampler compressor.

any advise for which pedal to get for max sustain?

thanks

• Members

I don't have much experience with compressors - the Marshall ED-1 is the only one I've owned. It does have great range in its controls, is quiet, and set right gives a great amount of sustain with only moderate squash and almost no loss of tone. It's also very quiet until turned up to very squishy.

• Members

what guitar do you use? A compressor will only do so much with what you are giving it

This guy's got it right. There are many more things that affect sustain besides the sustain knob on a compressor pedal. Fwiw, I've never tried a single compressor where the sustain knob cranked made me go "whoa!".

• Members

Well I have. dbx 160X rack unit. Needs a preamp to work right w/ guitar but you can even set reverse ratio so playing louder makes the sound get quieter. Still no effect on the high end except as apparent due to the change of dynamics. It can be like playing through distortion.

Also Yamaha GEP50. Digital. It can delay the audio to allow the envelop time to work. ADA MP1. Nominally a tube preamp but the SS channel compresses like crazy and has programmable tone controls.

Best pedal I've heard yet is the Dano Surf & Turf. Retains high end. Preset fast attack.

Archived