OT: Keane "You Don't See Me" Appreciation Thread

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

LOL

Bashing Keane in an effects forum is as cliche as hearing indie rockers touting The Pixies. I feel blessed to appreciate both :poke:

But seriously, I play guitar, and love guitar rock same as the next guy; but that doesn't mean I have to limit my tastes to it. I also love Kraftwerk, A-ha, The Blue Nile, Depeche Mode, and Air. Keane write great melodic songs in a feminine and romantic tradition, and I feel no shame in connecting with that.

• Members

LOL

Bashing Keane in an effects forum is as cliche as hearing indie rockers touting The Pixies. I feel blessed to appreciate both :poke:

But seriously, I play guitar, and love guitar rock same as the next guy; but that doesn't mean I have to limit my tastes to it. I also love Kraftwerk, A-ha, The Blue Nile, Depeche Mode, and Air. Keane write great melodic songs in a feminine and romantic tradition, and I feel no shame in connecting with that.

To be fair, they asked for it. They're mostly harmless and apparently nice enough guys.

• Members
:cool:
I love that song.

Me, too.

I think Keane's first album is BRILLIANT. There isn't a single song on there that I don't love, and She Has No Time is probably my favorite song on the album. Under the Iron Sea I actually got first, and while it isn't as complete as Hopes and Fears, the songs that I like I REALLY like (Atlantic, Is it Any Wonder?, Nothing in My Way, A Bad Dream). Perfect Symmetry I thought just was not good, start to finish. They tried to do too much.

• Members

Me, too.

I think Keane's first album is BRILLIANT. There isn't a single song on there that I don't love, and She Has No Time is probably my favorite song on the album.
Under the Iron Sea
I actually got first, and while it isn't as complete as
Hopes and Fears
, the songs that I like I REALLY like (Atlantic, Is it Any Wonder?, Nothing in My Way, A Bad Dream).
Perfect Symmetry
I thought just was not good, start to finish. They tried to do too much.

Agreed on all points.

Under the Iron Sea took awhile to grow on me, but now I really like the album. It's just a bit too overproduced for me, but the songs underneath are solid. "Atlantic" is a classic.

I don't like the new album; but I love "You Don't See Me." As posted earlier, it reminds me of Queen's songwriting - beautiful and tragic sounding. Tom was in rehabilitation during the making of Perfect Symmetry, and it shows. You can tell that Tim and Richard did their best to make the record sound upbeat and optimistic as possible, but it just doesn't work with them. That isn't their strength, methinks.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Keane is my "guilty pleasure" band. I can't believe that I haven't worn out those CD's yet. The piano guy seems to have a bottomless well for catchy melodies, and really isn't a bad lyricist if you can get past the stream of self-pity that runs thru it.

Perfect Symmetry had the first couple of songs that I considered "duds" out of all three of their records, which is a pretty phenomenal average.

I'm not sure that I'm that interested in seeing them, live. They are probably pretty good, from what I've seen on video. Someone voiced the criticism that quite a bit of the live show was sequenced, which isn't surprising when you have only three people in the band, and only one who is playing the non-percussion instruments.

If you like Keane, you would probably like a band from the early 90's called "Riverside" (not the more recent metal band). They had a CD called "One" that is probably available for one-cent plus shipping on ebay. Sappy pop in a similar thematic vein.

:idk:

• Members

Right on! I couldn't agree more.

Brother of another mother, I tell ya'. ;)

cheers,
Ian

• Members

Leaving so soon is my favorite track.I guess i am alone in enjoying the second album a bit more than the first.Keane bashing does seem a little surprising in an effects forum that is constantly seeing "what fx does the edge use" when the dude in Keane can cop an edge tone with a piano.

I wish i could find thier first SNL appearance.i watched that and i was sold.It was the first time i had seen a band do live exactly what they did on the album,only more powerful.In fact i might even say somewhere only we know on SNL was the best SNL performance i can remember.

Archived