No effects loop in your amp?? What do you do??

deluxe74

• Members

If your amp doesn't have an effects loop and you have, lets say, a reverb pedal, would you just stick it in the pedal chain or what? My amp doesn't have an effects loop but my board does (powered furman board) so I don't have that problem yet, but it that may be a factor in the 'new pedal board' decision.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If your amp doesn't have an effects loop and you have, lets say, a reverb pedal, would you just stick it in the pedal chain or what? My amp doesn't have an effects loop but my board does (powered furman board) so I don't have that problem yet, but it that may be a factor in the 'new pedal board' decision.

Line out box

http://www.suhrguitars.com/tonetools.aspx#lineOut

lineOut_lo.jpg

• Members

isn't 'putting it in front of your amp' the same as putting it at the front of your pedal chain?

I think he means, in front being in the pedal chain, not nessessarily at the start or the end or the middle of the chain - although most people put it at the end. I do too.

• Members

oh I just went by the thread title, thanks Zachman you truly are one of Gods own prototypes

;) I figure just because something is avilable on the market, doesn't mean that everyone has automatically heard of it, so I'm happy to suggest possible solutions. :thu:

• Members

putting it in front of amp means pre amp.

like this

metal zone - preamp - /loop/ - weird modulation stuff - poweramp - speaker.

if you have an amp with a drive channel putting modulation/delays and stuff like that before it really make things OTT.

• Members

Line out box

lineOut_lo.jpg

I do not think it does what you think it does.

You will need another amp/speaker(s).

There is always the old Hotplate trick...Same deal though.

Amp#1--> hotplate set to "load"..line out of hotplate--->time based fx--->FX return or power amp of other amp#2 (so you don't get preamp section)--->speaker out---> speakers. voila

There. Now if that doesn't make you dizzy, then go for it. Careful though.

It is possible to screw your amp#1. Leave the hotplate in load.

• Members

I do not think it does what you think it does.

You will need another amp/speaker(s).

There is always the old Hotplate trick...Same deal though.

Amp#1--> hotplate set to "load"..line out of hotplate--->time based fx--->FX return or power amp of other amp#2 (so you don't get preamp section)--->speaker out---> speakers. voila

There. Now if that doesn't make you dizzy, then go for it. Careful though.

It is possible to screw your amp#1. Leave the hotplate in load.

This is correct

• Members

Line out box

lineOut_lo.jpg

The way this thing works is you take your speaker out and plug it into this little device. This thing has a "speaker thru" so remember you must connect speakers to it. Your amp needs to have a load (speakers)connected to it. So the fx you want to put after the amp are not going to be heard simply by adding this device in between your amp and speakers. The line out needs to go to an entirely different amplifier. That amplifier needs to have speakers attached as well. I reccomend a THD hotplate for this type of setup. The hotplate is capable of simulating a load so you don't need the excess speaker(s). Sorry I would love to go deeper but my kids need a bath before bed.

• Members

Something like the Palmer PDI09 also works very well for this and is also in a very small package. You always need the additional amp for your wet signal but that's the price you pay for having an amp you like the sound of with no effect loop. Personally I won't buy an amp without an effect loop because I think delay and/or reverb before preamp dirt is horrendous. Orange have lost business a few times because of that over the years

• Members

The way this thing works is you take your speaker out and plug it into this little device. This thing has a "speaker thru" so remember you must connect speakers to it. Your amp needs to have a load (speakers)connected to it. So the fx you want to put after the amp are not going to be heard simply by adding this device in between your amp and speakers. The line out needs to go to an entirely different amplifier. That amplifier needs to have speakers attached as well. I reccomend a THD hotplate for this type of setup. The hotplate is capable of simulating a load so you don't need the excess speaker(s). Sorry I would love to go deeper but my kids need a bath before bed.

Even w/ a hot plate, (which I use), or anyother load device-- assuming the OP is running a mono combo or head/cab setup, you'd need to reamp through another amp and speaker--even if you're not running the hotplate on a load setting to the combo, in order for the effect to be heard.

That being said, there is NO reason why you need to put ALL effects through the Post signal... You can always run dirt boxes (if that is how you achieve your dirt tone) in front of the amp, and run your reverbs, delays and modulation effects post into your wet side chain.

• Members

I disagree. Verb before amp gain sounds like arse. Very big deal.

Ok gotta go.

Flame.

Yeah I agree, but the majority of people here run their amps clean with all of their dirt/mod/delays/verbs run through the front. The amp is used for just that... amplification. :)

• Members

Yeah I agree, but the majority of people here run their amps clean with all of their dirt/mod/delays/verbs run through the front. The amp is used for just that... amplification.
:)

But if that's the case, I can't see a lot of reason to be anally retentive about the amp you use, so there's not much reason to avoid an effects loop in the first place. There are plenty of amps with great clean channels that take pedals well, but a loop keeps your options open to use amp dirt which is still superior to pedals to most people if they listen without any preconceptions.

But if you want something like an Orange Rocker 30 then 99% of people will want it because of the drive channel. And then you're stuck with time effects before dirt, or having a separate wet amp, both of which are pretty shit options IMO.

• Members

Yeah I agree, but the majority of people here run their amps clean with all of their dirt/mod/delays/verbs run through the front. The amp is used for just that... amplification.
:)

I agree too, but it occurs to me that the reason so many run their gear in the traditional fashion, is that they don't know how to properly do it otherwise, making their setup more efficient.

• Members

But if that's the case, I can't see a lot of reason to be anally retentive about the amp you use, so there's not much reason to avoid an effects loop in the first place. There are plenty of amps with great clean channels that take pedals well, but a loop keeps your options open to use amp dirt which is still superior to pedals to most people if they listen without any preconceptions.

But if you want something like an Orange Rocker 30 then 99% of people will want it because of the drive channel. And then you're stuck with time effects before dirt,
or having a separate wet amp, both of which are pretty {censored} options IMO.

Why, because of more gear to move or because it sounds better in 99.9% of cases, when done well.

Archived