Is there any way to run Pro Tools

thedh02

You CAN add additional mic preamps and other gear to your Digidesign / M-Audio / Pro Tools rig, but in terms of I/O, only things that work with the existing facilities on those interfaces will work.

For example, if you have a mixer, mic preamp or other product with S/PDIF or lightpipe connectors, you can hook that up to your Pro Tools interface and add additional channels that way... but once you've reached the capacity of the onboard S/PDIF and / or ADAT lightpipe ports on your PT LE / PT M-Powered interface, that's it - no further expansion is possible. If you have a HD system, you can add additional I/O via additional Digidesign and third party offerings, but not with LE systems.

You can use any MIDI interface you want though, and pretty much any hardware control surface that supports the HUI protocol, but as far as audio I/O, you're limited to only Digidesign and specific M-Audio interfaces.

• Members

No. There was a free version of Pro Tools (named Pro Tools Free) that had eight tracks plus MIDI, but that was a long time ago, and it only ran on Win 98se. Outside of that, all versions require either Digidesign or M-Audio hardware interfaces.

Don't forget Mac OS 7.6.1!

Archived