OT: Friend of mine's getting sued by the RIAA

skitzy

• Members

Knda funny I was talking abt that case with a copyright guy (wife's an IP atty) at her firm when that stuff broke who, as it turned out, was a research asst of Nesson back in the day.

He did bring up (now this was just from a real cursory view - so take it FWIW just a casual discussion) that it could wind up having more impact in future policy and law than on current cases.

If the RIAA doesn't ask for really high damages to keep out of a jury trail (IRRC they wound up doing that in the gonzoles case...sliding it in), the "civil damages being tantamount to crim sanction" might not play for your pal

eh, just something to consider for the sake of the discussion, it is in NO WAY intended to be advice nor a qualified legal analysis

• Members

Man I have been trading with guys on the net for years. I have bought maybe 3 albums in the last 6 years and I have over 100gb of music. What I do choose to buy is the merchandise of the artists I like. That usually means they get 100% of the cash and don't split it with a corp. I hate buying an album only to have 1 good song when the rest is crap. That's why I trade. Wrong? Meh....... how many of you have said "Dude, can you make me a copy of that?" to a friend with a new album? No difference.

Archived