OT: Theremins

skitzy

• Members

So i always thought they were pretty cool, fun to play with, etc., but never actually saw anything other than a fun toy.

after watching this, though, i actually want to try playing one as an instrument

[YOUTUBE]X-ywH1Vj8_U[/YOUTUBE]

anyone here play one?

(BTW, TED talks always deliver awesomeness)

• Members

Holy crap! That is awesome. It would take ALOT of practice and skill to pull that off, because there's no frets, no keys, just relative position to where you're placing your hands.

I often thought of making an EBow centric album, mostly around the EBow. It still wouldn't be as hard as what that woman is doing with that theremin.

• Members

Man, I watched that again, and that has to get my hands down winner of the most insanely talented musicianship that i've seen in a LONG time. Just her explaining that she had to be dead still, and have the stamina to concentrate on physically not moving any part but her volume and note hands.....I think of all the guitarists and vocalists that thrash around.....imagine if you couldn't move the rest of your body while playing. Imagine playing air guitar but you couldn't pull out the ridiculous face or the ridiculous poses.....

• Members
she has a good ear....

she was originally a bass player

you might want to check the Spinning n Air archives as well as she shows up there occasionally (she does some cool stuff down in the bass register too pulling out a pizz kind of sound)

I categorically deny that it has anything to do with her being a cutie ;)
(really though, she is my fav thereminist, yup even other rockmore)

Archived