Anyone into synths here? Share some of your synthy songs and what gear you're using.

NoirAbattoir

• Members

I'm hopefully buying a Korg Polysix pretty soon. I'll hopefully get a MIDI keyboard too eventually, or fit the Polysix with a MIDI kit.

poly six sounds SWEET....word to the wise..make SURE the memory battery has been replaced, and you don't get one with a circuit board that a battery has leaked onto already. it happened to a lot of them, as the mem battery was hard soldered into circuit, and is a pain to remove.

other than that, one of the best deals around on a polyphonic analog synth with memory. and a fine arp too. lots of silky pads and analog goodness with this one. and sound pretty fat in unison mode too!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
poly six sounds SWEET....word to the wise..make SURE the memory battery has been replaced, and you don't get one with a circuit board that a battery has leaked onto already. it happened to a lot of them, as the mem battery was hard soldered into circuit, and is a pain to remove.

other than that, one of the best deals around on a polyphonic analog synth with memory. and a fine arp too. lots of silky pads and analog goodness with this one. and sound pretty fat in unison mode too!

Yeah, I'll examine it properly first. The owner says the battery hasn't been changed, but he's examined it and there are no leaks. If that's the case, I'll just remove the battery immediately, and replace it myself. I'll open it up and inspect it closely myself before buying, though. The seller seemed like an honest guy when I talked to him, but you never know. :cop:

• Members
Yeah, I'll examine it properly first. The owner says the battery hasn't been changed, but he's examined it and there are no leaks. If that's the case, I'll just remove the battery immediately, and replace it myself. I'll open it up and inspect it closely myself before buying, though. The seller seemed like an honest guy when I talked to him, but you never know.
:cop:

that's cool....anyone that knows those synths, knows the dangers inherent in it. but it is WELL WORTH the $$$, because the only comparable polyphonic analog machines are jupiter 6, 8, prophet V, yamaha cs-80, etc...and those are all BIG prices now.

and nothing sounds quite like a good poly 6. we had one of those and a monopoly back in my 80s The X-Statics days....and a farfisa, and a prophet one, and a yamaha sk-30, and a dw6000, poly 800, and others back in "the day"

• Members

I've never played one, but I've loved the clips I've heard. I decided I wanted to get some keys a while ago, preferably an analog synth. After finding a Polysix for sale locally I've done a bit of research, and it seems like a perfect choice for me. The battery thing put me off a bit, but there's a lot of information online on how to take care of it, and it seems like something I'll be able to take care of myself.

• Members
I've never played one, but I've loved the clips I've heard. I decided I wanted to get some keys a while ago, preferably an analog synth. After finding a Polysix for sale locally I've done a bit of research, and it seems like a perfect choice for me. The battery thing put me off a bit, but there's a lot of information online on how to take care of it, and it seems like something I'll be able to take care of myself.

if you can solder, you'll be fine. just replace the battery, and you can download the audio file of the factory presets, so you can start from ground zero.

or, you can be adventurous, and just write all 32 from scratch :thu:

there is quite a plethora of info online, and plenty of people dedicated to the poly 6. like i said, it's the only true analog polyphonic synth with memory that you can get. add MIDI, and you are really rocking! we used to just get it to sync up with click track somehow, so the arp would be in time, and let it burble away.

built in effects are noisy but sweet ;)

• Members

Sweet. :) I've only heard positive things about the polysix from people who've played one, so it looks promising. What kind of sounds were you using it for?

I'm going to the seller tomorrow to try it and give it a thorough inspection. Looking forward to that, sadly I'll have to wait a week before I've got the money to buy it. :cry:

• Members
Sweet.
:)
I've only heard positive things about the polysix from people who've played one, so it looks promising. What kind of sounds were you using it for?

I'm going to the seller tomorrow to try it and give it a thorough inspection. Looking forward to that, sadly I'll have to wait a week before I've got the money to buy it.
:cry:

we always used it for chords, pads, atmospheres, etc. and also set it to UNISON and dial up a nice arp setting, and let it rip, while sweeping the filter, etc. also does a cool chord arp that is sorta unique.

but it excels at silky pad sounds, the voices are all slightly out of tune, and it makes it lush....add the built in effects, and it makes it silky goodness. it's bit thinner sounding than a jupiter 8 or memorymoog, does sound sorta similar to a jupiter 6, i actually like it BETTER in some ways than the jupiter 6. easily as cool as anything modern by a long shot....and fatter...and ANALOG!

• Members

I'm a total synth noob but every once in a while I like to get away from guitars and play my synths
Microkorg
Alesis Micron
Yamaha AN-200
Daytone Syntex
Alesis SR-16 for beats
I have hundreds of recordings and very ashamed about them

• Members

Bad synths that no one else wants can be cool, too. I have a really crappy old Radio Shack concertmate keyboard that has one of the greatest organ sounds in it that I use on most of my recordings, and I just run it through a leslie simulator with fast/ slow settings and gain to dirty it up at times. It has a few other sounds that are really cool. I have alot of upper end gear, but I think that there's some merit in gear that no one else wants or knows how to use or overlooks. I've wanted to throw that crappy Radio Shack keyboard out, but it's worked well at times.

Dan Snaith (Caribou) is the same way.....he's said that he has some really crappy synths and he's worked wonders on his recordings. There's some sounds that are intentionally bad in synths, but you just use them as a flavour on an outro or something like that. Jason Falkner does that alot.....he'll have these gurgling synth parts at the ends of songs as outros, these parts that are kind of ridiculously over the top as synth parts. Synth is something that you have to be careful with though.....with the portamento ratios and things like that, it can easily take a serious song and kind of make it too lighthearted or funny.

Archived