The 50 Best Albums of 2008...

Stubacca

• Members

You know? I always want to write off Pitchfork entirely, but they DO have merit at times, and you just have to wade through all the hipster bull{censored} to find it. For every lame act that they go on about, there's a truly great album like the Fleet Foxes' new one. You just really have to know about how to go liking the great stuff that they push and then tune out the crap.....like how it's always been on the radio--wading through a bunch of songs you don't like to get to the good one and then being honest with yourself in that it moves you.

Usually i've found that bands get one or two REALLY lauded albums out of Pitchfork before they're onto something else, new bands, new trends, etc.

Deerhunter's "Microcastle" and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds "Dig Lazarus Dig" were also ones that they had on their lists that are on my top albums of 2008. But the omission of Earth's "The Bees Made Honey In the Lion's Skull"--an absolutely amazing recording, or Spiritualized's "Songs In A&E"-- not being on there were major, major omissions.

• Members

You know? I always want to write off Pitchfork entirely, but they DO have merit at times, and you just have to wade through all the hipster bull{censored} to find it. For every lame act that they go on about, there's a truly great album like the Fleet Foxes' new one. You just really have to know about how to go liking the great stuff that they push and then tune out the crap.....like how it's always been on the radio--wading through a bunch of songs you don't like to get to the good one and then being honest with yourself in that it moves you.

Usually i've found that bands get one or two REALLY lauded albums out of Pitchfork before they're onto something else, new bands, new trends, etc.

Deerhunter's "Microcastle" and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds "Dig Lazarus Dig" were also ones that they had on their lists that are on my top albums of 2008. But the omission of Earth's "The Bees Made Honey In the Lion's Skull"--an absolutely amazing recording, or Spiritualized's "Songs In A&E"-- not being on there were major, major omissions.

Well said.

Archived