Listen to the 1st draft of my big dumb techno track

Cloacal-X

• Members

...and critique, svp.

"Gorgon" - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=689227&content=music

Obviously it could still use lots of spit and polish, but I'm not happy with the arrangement much anyway, I think some of the parts need to be changed entirely. But it does have a spooky armageddisco vibe to it which I want to retain. I just don't do much of this stuff so I don't know where to go with this.

• Members

What about it? Obviously it takes up a huge chunk of the mix, but it's supposed to. It's an acoustic kick layered w/ an 808 sample, each independently limited with a huge amount of input gain, then mixed and compressed with a little more saturation. The acoustic kick is stereo which gives it that nice wide sound. It drones a little bit so far, but I'm not worried about that too much since adding variation isn't hard.

• Members

Well, like I said it's still rough. It is supposed to be ridiculously bassy, but it should also reproduce well on a lot of systems so I think I will have to tone it down a bit and do a little more transient shaping on the kick.

Paulo:

Just plugins - anything synthy is Fabfilter Twin except the 303 which is audiorealism TBL. The rest is just samples like some drums and drum machines, a waylon jennings intro, and some old psychedelic rock track. This one will go through a couple more incarnations, I usually don't show things this early (only a few hours went into this so far) - but I'm trying to break a block I've had on finishing projects and I thought showing it would help me make it "real".

• Members

...and critique, svp.

I dig the track.

It is something new and refreshing. And that's important in this ocean of endless repetitive commercial junk.

Critique. You can try a version with 808 kick only + long reverb (apply some eq proir to reverb input) and you are in the game. I hope you got the freware Glaceverb which is perfect for this kind of {censored}.

OT:

Hey, these funny little folks go perfect with this track:

:cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop:

(hehe, they love it!)

• Members

Well, what I'm going to do with the kick is spend some time routing it to several busses and doing some different filtering/reverb/reverse/etc. so it's not always the same HUGE kick just mashing your brain. It'll get huge, but there will be a lot more movement.

• Members

Imo, the issue is not that it's a "huge" kick, rather that it sounds sloppy and takes a long time to end before the next one arrives. The rest of the track is very hard to make out as a result.

I feel like apologizing, but you did ask for critique.

• Members

The kick is a cool attention grabber at first, but as mentioned above it's just too much as the track progresses. Takes up way to much of the mix,and doesnt let the other elements breathe at all.

It's too slow for my taste in electronic dance music...has more of a doom metal vibe than something that would be heard in a club, imo. That could be a good thing though, depending on what you're shooting for!

I definitely think the idea has potential though man, jut work on the production elements, and keep on experimenting! I dig the 'orchestral hit' sample and the bassline that comes in in the 2nd half of the song...sounds pretty sinister along with that spooky pad!!

• Members

Imo, the issue is not that it's a "huge" kick, rather that it sounds sloppy and takes a long time to end before the next one arrives. The rest of the track is very hard to make out as a result.

I feel like apologizing, but you did ask for critique.

No, that's good. If I didn't want your opinion I wouldn't have asked. :) I mean, I can hear everything just fine, but I already know what it all sounds like in isolation so maybe that's clouding my perception.

I'll get back to this in a day or two - I started some work, but I think it'll be a few hours of automation-lane editing before I'm really happy with the kick track. I sent it out to 4 busses, one with some extreme self-osc filtering for interest, another with really, really hard-gated reverb, one more with massive clipping (closest to the current sound, but filtered and mixed in and out so it's not always overwhelming), and another that's cleaner & tightly compressed/EQ'd to provide a good base.

• Members

Awake - yeah, it's only like 109BPM. Not really club stuff, but given my affinity for orchestral hits (or pitched-down, harmonized 3-piece 60's psychedelic rock bites, as it were) I figured it would probably be more at home next to something more breakbeat anyway. I do want the track to "work" but there's no point in making it cookie-cutter. My BPM meter rests quite comfortably between 80-110.

• Members

i like it. it's a bit nasty and grungy but i think that works for it rather than against it (unless that's really not the sound you were after)

i could see this as soundtrack material, for the bit in the horror b-movie where the dudes tied up in the s&m dungeon discover that the hookers are really aliens, and they get infested with extraterrestrial parasites that start to turn their bodies into a tumourous mess :D

• Members

KEWWWWWL

sounds a little bit like mid-90's Westbam

this track has that tresor/harthouse vibe happening

the slower tempo is distinctive

i don't think the kick is such a huge problem, a little too buzzy and monotonous perhaps but standard for that german/dutch hardtechno vibe.... yeah filter the kick it would sound more thumping and variable w/ HPF lead-in sweeps ; like a subtle "tide of bass" effect

Archived