my next instrument purchase will be... a Waterphone!

Secret Seasons

• Members

Dude, the Waterphone sounds like the bridge in Magic Carpet Ride. Does anyone know how the hell they did that? I always imagined a lot of tape delay and a volume knob, maybe a bow, but maybe they had something like this thing.

This is wicked cool, I love those sort of sounds. Thanks.

• Members

I wonder if you could fix some sort of pickup to it for use live? maybe a piezo or 2?

Imagine the mayhem that would ensue from waterphone + looper.

I knew a guy who had a waterphone and he hooked it up with a pickup and ran it through a delay - it sounded amazing and very other-worldly! I'd love to have one of those. It would go well with the ambient music I do.

• Members

That sounds like the intro to "Janey's Got A Gun", that weird, twisted effect. That's the only song that I can think of off the top of my head that may have used that on a recording.

The Waterphone would be cool for weird drone (I could see Sunn O))) having an interest in it...) or the Swans or some band like that, but unless you're trying for "psychotic" i'm not really certain it would have much use. It sounds like something off the Silent Hill game series, too......when the school turns into the dark evil school part.

Archived