Delays with a hold mode and modulation

smrz

• Members

http://namm09.musicradar.com/press-releases/seymour-duncan-unveils-the-sfx-10-deja-vu-tap-delay-pedal/

There will be a stealth loop mode if the delay time knob is cranked all the way up. It you'll just press and hold the tap button. If you want it so that at any point you can just "hold" whatever is already in the delay recycler at whatever point you choose, then no, this won't do it. You can, however, stick a volume pedal into the feedback loop (like an expression pedal) and simply rock it forward when you want to make the switch to infinite repeats. Set the feedback knob just to the point when it creates infinite repeats, then the volume/expression pedal will act as the "hold" when it's depressed, and then back off all the way to zero feedback.

• Members

That's why I was suggesting an expression pedal in a feedback loop like the Deja Vu, because you can set the feedback knob for "unity" and just raise the expression pedal whenever you're ready for a "hold".

The Deja Vu has two bypass options: True Bypass or Trailing Repeats (buffered) so you could raise the feedback to the point of unity, and then shut the unit off and the delays will continue indefinitely while you play over them or what not.

It's a more complicated solution, and this is by no means a commercial, but in doing all the research for the Deja Vu, I never really came across anyone who would want a "hold" like this, so I'm kind of talking it out with you guys at the same time as I'm trying to wrap my brain around it to see if we "missed something" with the Deja Vu. From what I can tell, if you're using a feedback expression pedal you can do exactly what the hold buttons do on those old delays. Again I'm not suggesting that it's the solution. (you can buy used Digitechs for that matter)

• Members

The Hold that most people are suggesting is not what he's looking for. He's talking about the PDS type of hold that just takes whats repeating in the delay and loops it. You guys are thinking loop modes.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:facepalm:

• Members
the choices will be pretty limited. both hold mode and modulation aren't super popular in delay pedals and having both at once is even rarer.

so basically, timefactor, PDS 20/20 and echolution.... that's it?

seems like it. bummer. i'm not about to shell out the cash for either of the others, but I want something with more headroom that doesn't have unreliable switches. should be simple, right? :lol:

• Members

i love the pds 20/20, i had two of them--sold one once i got the echolution. here's why the echolution is better:

1) better sound quality--can be warm sounding just like the 20/20 but without all the bit-crushyness and noise. the bit-crushyness can be good, but not the noise.

2) even longer loops--up to 12 secs. even with a tweaked 20/20 i could only get about 6-7 sec's before it'd really start to sound like {censored}.

3) in addition to modulation you can add tremelo (or both together). so sick.

4) you can add multitaps to a running loop, and subtract them at will.

5) you can reverse the loop.

6) you can adjust the loop speed (pitch) with an expression pedal.

the only reasons why i could see someone choosing a pds over it are: price and footprint size. you need to connect an external footswitch to control the hold and reverse--so it does take up some floorspace. otherwise it pretty much pwns the 20/20 in all regards.

• Members
price and footprint size.

:thu: I'd really rather not spend more than $150 or so. Definitely not more than $200. And I also like to keep a relatively small footprint. I also have an SMMH, which I use for other things. My needs are simple, and met perfectly by the PDS, except for the problems outlined above.

Archived