New Pedal Build - bitcrusher / samplerate-reducer

tape

• Members

You know one of these days you're going to have to be mass producing these things for us all
:cop::thu:

not unless I quit my day job :cry: which I'm not prepared to do yet.

I do want to make batches of a few of my designs, but them ore I get into it, the more I can see why boutique builders charge so much for their stuff. so many hours goes into these. even the assembling! because I don't have those car-sized machines that do all the soldering and drilling for me, I spend many hours over a single PCB making sure everything works. then there's the painting. that takes a few hours as well.

It's not to say I dont want to do it, but this is just one of many hobbies and I really don't want it taking all my time.

I'm considering getting the PCBs for my ringmod done from another place (though not abroad. {censored} unregulated free markets).

• Members

found this video for the HEXE bitcrusher

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv8m90_FOaY

mine doesnt really sound like the first 1:30 minutes, except on some extreme settings. from 1:30 to 2:45. mine does that except for the HPF. also, the background noise is gated more smoothly on mine. there's an envilope follower in the rest of the video that's neat.

I still think mine sounds better. it's amazing how many more sounds you get by sticking a self-oscillating resonant LPF in the mix. even cranking the resonance but not touching the cutoff frequency yields some very interesting chimy grain!

• Members

Wasn't our HCFX official pedal supposed to be something similar?

:idea:

yeah it is. I love the effect and totally encourage the HCFX pedal to continue once they have time to finish it, but it was too limited for what I had in mind personally. I needed at the very minimum wet/dry blend.

I will still be following its progress with interest!

• Members

I already have a frostwave sonic alienator which sounds really excellent! the LPF on it, though great, wasn't what I was going for, and the lack of a bypass switch really irked me (I hate bypass boxes). I had also been GASing for a bitrman for on-and-off-again for a few years, and especially in the last month! they go for stupid money though, so last thursday I went ahead and started on this.

thanks for the info,

since Frostwave is taking a break (it's been a year now), the Sonic Alienator is out of stock everywhere and fetches high dollar prices on the used market, same with the Bitrman, which is fun, the Bit Reducer is a bit a one trick pony but there are nice ringmod and phaser madness that is a lot of fun as well

and of course there's the long awaited Harvestman Empty Quiver that should become available this year ...

crusherpedal.jpg

• Members

thanks for the info,

since Frostwave is taking a break (it's been a year now), the Sonic Alienator is out of stock everywhere and fetches high dollar prices on the used market, same with the Bitrman, which is fun, the Bit Reducer is a bit a one trick pony but there are nice ringmod and phaser madness that is a lot of fun as well

and of course there's the long awaited Harvestman Empty Quiver that should become available this year ...

crusherpedal.jpg

Do Want. I can see having a lot fun with that thing and a cv out from my Moog Ring Mod.

• Members

thanks for the info,

crusherpedal.jpg

I better hang on to my sonic alienator for a while longer then! I've also got the funk-a-duck....

the empty quiver looks nice. I was hoping to hear about it from NAMM but looks like they didnt get it ready in time.

• Members

video added

[YOUTUBE]FXEMk_qkshc[/YOUTUBE]

I know I'm slightly out of tune. I also know I dont know what I'm doing :wave:

it also sounds much better in person. the little crackly spazzy highs yo uhear sometimes are more pronounced, and the bass is better.

Archived