How do I use my flanger?

bengerm77

• Members

I impluse bought an ibanez fl9 flanger the other day and it just came in the mail.

I get regen, width, and speed knobs, but I'm not sure what delay time does. I was dicking around with it just now and I was twisting the knob and it didn't seem to make any audible difference to me.

Share settings too. I want to use mine like (many of you won't get this) the flanger part on zyklon B movie from the Subhumans. Very sparing but powerful when I do use it.

I'm not sure I needed a flanger in the first place, but god do I love getting stuff in the mail.

• Members

Cool!!!

I dont have the Ibanez, but I have a Choralflange and DEM. The Choralflange is for a light flange and I set, the DEM, for that heavy, jet sound. Depends on what I'm going after. I don't have them on the board at the same time either.

Just mess around with it. I'm sure someone will pop in here with some settings.

About not being sure if you need it? Well now if you ever do, you have one.

• Members

Set the Speed quite low, say 9 o'clock.

Set the Width quite high, say 4 o'clock.

Set the Regeneration to 0.

What you get is a chorus effect.

Turn up the Delay Time to make it more chorusey.

Turn up the Regeneration for the flanging, and you'll hear how the Delay Time affects it.

• Members

I've got an old Ibanez FLL. I honestly can't remember how I keep it set, the knobs got all set funky the other day when I sculpting one of my 'feedback sculptures', so I have no idea. I know I like it for a really subtle sound, though. Sometimes I can plug into my Superbass head and get a sound not unlike Adam Jones's tone in the Opiate days...

• Members

I likes me some good modulation...tasty.

I actually prefer using a flanger (especially) like the Deluxe Electric Mistress for chorused clean tones. Sounds sweet (in person)

[YOUTUBE]NVLzf9xbxzM[/YOUTUBE]

Excuse the muckups ........ :facepalm: I had a long day so was rushing things...... And the camera got too much direct sound so it distorted the audio, making it sound too harsh.

• Members
:thu:

I do sometimes like the chorus sound you can get from a flanger, but often when I want an effect just to give that 'movement' within my sound, I will use chorus but sometimes a non-inyourface flanger.

Also when I want it to sound like (mostly on cleans) non-descript modulation, flanger is my go to effect. Set up with not so much of a distinguishable 'wooosh' but more just 'wet' with effect.

• Members
Excuse the muckups ........
:facepalm:
I had a long day so was rushing things...... And the camera got too much direct sound so it distorted the audio, making it sound too harsh.

haha aussie accents sound wierd on tv/youtube.

you playing in a band man? nice rig btw.

• Members

haha aussie accents sound wierd on tv/youtube.

you playing in a band man? nice rig btw.

I'm not in one at the moment unfortunately, I haven't got the time :( .

At the moment I just jam with my housemate. He has a Fender Strat and a Marshall Valvestate head & cab and a Boss GT-5 & Crybaby wah-wah. He used to have a gigantic fridge-rig like Zachman.

But my rig keeps growing and growing. This is actually almost my dream rig which is why it is so big. I probably wouldn't gig with all of it.

My accent is actually a bit weak in that clip. It's usually a lot stronger.

• Members

I'm guessing that delay time can achieve chorus, flanger or phaser like effects. I have an MXR M-117R and the manual knob (probably their version of the delay knob, it effects the delay time of the signal) effects the frequencies and delay time of the effect. More delay time would be looser, more like a flanger; less delay time would be tighter like a chorus.

• Members

Ooh!

It turns out that there's neat-o little trimpots in there.

regen, bias, and clock.

I'm going to dick around with them.

biggity-bump

just note how they are currently set so if you turn it and it sounds messed up you can get it back

• Members

Ooh!

regen, bias, and clock.

biggity-bump

just note how they are currently set so if you turn it and it sounds messed up you can get it back

• Members

Ooh!

regen, bias, and clock.

biggity-bump

Archived