God damn ye, Don Solaris

droolmaster0

• Members

I found your an1x samples, and listened to them....I've been thinking about trying out this synth for awhile, and damn - you make it sound good. And then I encountered someone who was selling a pristine one, hardly used, and I can't afford it right now, but (of course) I bought it anyway. It's your fault.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A friend has an An1x. Its actually quite nice-sounding.

Don almost "made" me get a few different boards...thank the powers-that-be I simply don't have the room.

I made the mistake of moving into a larger apt a few months ago. It both gives me more room to accomodate my GAS, and less money to spend on it.

• Members

Well, I'm hoping for the best. I've liked the demos I've heard, people have described it in glowing terms, and it sounds pretty damn flexible - on the other hand, the problem I've had with a lot of yamaha stuff is that it sounds really good, but the interface is really a pain.

• Members

I found your an1x samples, and listened to them....I've been thinking about trying out this synth for awhile, and damn - you make it sound good. And then I encountered someone who was selling a pristine one, hardly used, and I can't afford it right now, but (of course) I bought it anyway. It's your fault.

Thanks mate. Some more points why to own the AN1-x next to a very good sound:

Step sequencer with knobs. Most people forget there is actually one. 8/16 steps forward, backward, ping-pong & {censored}. (i'm aware you personally got creme-de-la-creme of true analog sequencers so i guess this part itsn't important at the moment.)

X/Z ribbon controller. Fantastic thing for expression (acoustic things or even better controlling the VL-1m).

8 assignable controller knobs to control soft synths or other midi gear.

Fully adjustable cc parameters. ie you can take the mod wheel and change it into aftertouch. Why is this important? Well if you happen to own some Roland digital vintages with resonant filters such as D-50 or S-550 they can't have cutoff routed the to the mod wheel. This kinda sux. But! They do have aftertouch -> cutoff option (S-550 too in the last OS update). What is left to do is just set the mod wheel on AN1-x to become "aftertouch" and you can do cutoff sweeps on D-50's & S-550's resonant filters.

Interesting, this is a second topic that has been opened lately regarding the sound of AN1-x, after these demos were released. I am aware latest VA's have all the whistles and bells with 999999 effects & polyphony, but their SOUND is.... what? Personally i switched to full analog (VCOs preferred) equipment, but {censored}! - i can't sell the AN1-x. It is somehow FAT - dunno why though.

• Members

I am aware latest VA's have all the whistles and bells with 999999 effects & polyphony, but their
SOUND
is.... what? Personally i switched to full analog (VCOs preferred) equipment, but {censored}! - i can't sell the AN1-x. It is somehow
FAT
- dunno why though.

With all respect to people that have more experience with hard synths more than I do. I agree that analogs sound FAT and more FAT than VAs. But is not supposed to be a synthesizer in the end? Is there a limit to VA to create more FAT sounds than an Analog?

Is it just a war of presets?

Is it that Analogs are older thus more mature?

Still how much important is this for the synthesist when already both Analogs and VAs or Software or whatever is much more complex than the mystery of woman behavior (well almost :lol:).

• Members

Actually, my AN1x which I bought as a cheap controller for my rack stuff after relocating to a new continent has been standing on end against a bookshelf since my Q+ arrived. I need to make a little more room and get it back on a stand.

The interface is a pig when you stand it next to a Nord Lead or a Virus (or a Q+)

B>

• Members

There is indeed a JP8000 soundbank, but there's tricks the JP8K can do that the AN can't (feedback oscillator, supersaw). The AN1x does seem like an 'oh {censored}, better rush out something so we don't lose face' machine; which is probably why no sequels were made. The slanted edge on the ribbon controller is proof of that; newer Yamaha synths with ribbons have a "straight' one.

• Members

thats worse than waterboarding in Otar

I would have given you one for free

• Members

I think it sounds like plastic. But I mean really cool, space aged plastic, with unusual physical properties like shape-memory or electroconductivity... and glitter suspended in it. i remember the arpeggiator being pretty dang cool, too.

I'm not looking for it to sound analog, and am not going to evaluate it by that criterion. Does it sound good - can it give me a wide variety of sounds, and when I get to know it, is it easy to move around etc...is it good to play....that's what I care about. 1's and 0's imitating analog never quite reach it, but on the other hand, because they are programmed rather than circuitry, I think that potentially the range of sounds is potentially greater.

Archived