God damn ye, Don Solaris

droolmaster0

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Ensoniq TS10 or TS12.

Transwaves are Ensoniq-speak for wavetables, if you like them maybe check out a Waldorf Microwave XT
:)

Thanks Carbon - Damn you too!

I'm of course tickled by all the wavetable/wave talk lately. I'm a big Carpenter fan and love his use of the VS. I can't afford a VS! I'm also into the twisting wave crossfading sounds of the waldorf gear - however to my ears I think I prefer the (demos) of the Ensoniq timbre more particularily the ones with the curtis filter - the Fiz just looks like so much more fun and sounded fizzy - the waldorf more "glassy"?. I understand that the wavetables offer a different sound that just single cycle waves on their own - can you do more normal bells and malets and basses or is all the weird and wonderful on the Fiz?

I can't afford a PER or PEK right now. I was looking in the $200-$500 range. All the suspects are on the list from the Blofeld,nordwave(Too much $) to the Fizmos, ESQM, SQ 80, Evolver seem like fun affordable options to get the sound.

what is your favorite Ensoniq synth? I'm looking for the best value to dive into the waves.

Damn you all for answering!

• Members

Damn you Don Solaris - I want to go all Ensoniq now.

Other than the Fizmo what's the next best Ensoniq board to get if I'm interested in transwaves? What's the last Ensoniq to have an analog filter?

As Carbon already mentioned, the TS series. They also offer the Wavesequencing (just like Wavestation). And lets not forget the legendary ASR-10 that offers transwaves too.

Fizmo is cool but it doesn't offer custom transwaves. It does have resonant filter though - but only in 24dB mode - no 12 dB smooth sweeps. TS and ASR let you import custom transwaves / wavetables. This process is explained in details here.

But take care. Maybe this is not a good time to get the ASR-10 as prices are gone up again. You know how it goes: "hey! Neptunes use one, Timbo uses one, Missy uses one.... i want one!". I remember i gave 450 for TS-10 and 200 for ASR (with 16M ram). Funny thing... Ensoniq is the only company in the world that has its DIGITAL equipment go up in price with time.

And last Ensoniq with analog filter is SQ-80. Grab one and run away while they are still peanuts. :cop:

• Members

Those samples sound marvellous!

I got a question. I understand how unique the wavesequencing sounds when dealing with a single voice. However it seems to me that the composite (polyphonic) pads could be done with rom samples and lfo/envelope crossfades. Or are they?

In what way does the additive/cross fading approach fall short of the wavesequencing approach? Probably a dumb question but I thought I would ask. Thanks,

Jerry

• Members

But take care. Maybe this is not a good time to get the ASR-10 as prices are gone up again. You know how it goes:
"hey! Neptunes use one, Timbo uses one, Missy uses one.... i want one!"
. I remember i gave 450 for TS-10 and 200 for ASR (with 16M ram). Funny thing... Ensoniq is the only company in the world that has its DIGITAL equipment go up in price with time.

That's because they knew how to make proper digital instruments for musicians. Why is it my Ensoniq stuff can change patches with no drop out, while the latest greatest stuff from Roland et al drop out?

• Members
Damn you Don Solaris - I just bought an SQ-80 because of you...

(and a heated late 80's John Carpenter movie marathon - They Live rocks.)

I found the SQ-80 to be a big dissapointment. I had an ESQ-1 many moons ago that I really liked. Last year I bought a SQ-80 and I never got into it, even after downloading 20+ banks. I wonder if these synths sound different. :confused:

• Members
I found the SQ-80 to be a big dissapointment. I had an ESQ-1 many moons ago that I really liked. Last year I bought a SQ-80 and I never got into it, even after downloading 20+ banks. I wonder if these synths sound different.
:confused:

Sorry to hear that... I have modest expectations in life... keeps me sane.

Isn't ESq-1 the same thing but with fewer waveforms and no polyaftertouch?

What didn't you like?
The filter?
The Polyaftertouch?
The construction?
The cheese? (It is a late 80's synth afterall)

For a $250 synth it seems to have a lot going for it. I honestly wanted a Prophet VS (who doesn't?) and this seemed to be an affordable polyphonic alternative.

• Members
Fizmo is cool but it doesn't offer custom transwaves. It does have resonant filter though - but only in 24dB mode - no 12 dB smooth sweeps. TS and ASR let you import custom transwaves / wavetables. ...
:cop:

With due respect, Don Solaris- and you may remember me:poke:-ing for the didge, this is not exactly right. This may be the case as long as you only use the front panel but here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.synrise.de/docs/types/e/ensoniq/ensoniq_fizmo-microtune.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfizmo%26start%3D40%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN
you should find the English translation of German synrise.de. Great on synthesizers in general by the way.
I spent most of today finding a transwave synth or sampler featuring resonant filters AND custom wavetables, because the latter is THE tool to emphasize the (few) selected overtones of transwaves. There is none it seems, besides the Waldorf MicroWave or Wave.
I really felt llike walking in your shoes, get me a TS10- a great synth I long since fancied- but, no. It will be Waldorf- even the latest models like Q+ and Blofeld don't feature custom wavetables (yet; the Blofeld) or software like Vaz Modular (holy {censored})
Sorry to correct you,but pliiies don't forget about the didge, if this isn't reserved for senior members :poke:
Tom

• Members

How are the aforementioned Ensoniqs for pads? My Nord is disappointing me in this particular area... or maybe I just need another six months of programming it. I might be in the market for something that can do glassy, breathy and ethereal sounds. I kind of like those late 80's early 90's pseudo-choir sounds too.

• Members

With due respect, Don Solaris- and you may remember me:poke:-ing for the didge, this is not exactly right. This may be the case as long as you only use the front panel but here:

you should find the English translation of German synrise.de. Great on synthesizers in general by the way.

I spent most of today finding a transwave synth or sampler featuring resonant filters AND custom wavetables, because the latter is THE tool to emphasize the (few) selected overtones of transwaves. There is none it seems, besides the Waldorf MicroWave or Wave.

No prob dude. I'll check my sound archives - i think i got the SYSEX somewhere.

As of custom wavetables + resonant filter -> DSI Evolver is your friend.

Archived