Rat Gain

pencho

I keep my rat's gain at 12 o'clock and I play heavy stonerdoom. nuff said

Your playing heavy stonerdoom has more to do with the amp, doesn't it? I mean, lots of folks use rats for lots of applications.

I wouldn't say it's "high gain," really; medium gain morelike.

• Members

Your playing heavy stonerdoom has more to do with the amp, doesn't it? I mean, lots of folks use rats for lots of applications.

Cool, less gain than a muff or are they about the same?

• Members

yeah I use a vh100 and an orange 4x12 but the amp is set completely clean. and i don't use very hot pickups in my guitar.

I really REALLY need to make work of the RAT brutal clip that I promised a long time ago

Cool, less gain than a muff or are they about the same?

Hm. Well, they sound real different, and that question does kind of depend on the muff. The Rat sounds a lot more like od/distortion, while the muff has more of a fuzz-y quality to it. Unless we're talking Russian Muff - that thing is pretty distortion like, and, I'd say, "higher-gain" than a Rat.

• Members

It really depends a lot on the RAT itself and how you're going to use it. I use a BYOC RAT that can toggle between Turbo, RAT2 and original RAT settings on the the original RAT has quite a bit more gain on tap than the Turbo or RAT2 settings.

At any rate, I'd say the RAT has more usable gain while the Muff just has more gain on tap.

• Members
Hm. Well, they sound real different, and that question does kind of depend on the muff. The Rat sounds a lot more od/distortion, while the muff has more of a fuzz-y quality to it. Unless we're talking Russian Muff, which is pretty distortion like, and, I'd say, "higher-gain" than a Rat.

ninja'd :cry:

• Members

Well I think I'm going to try and see for myself. I'm looking at a freakshow brown rabbit. The muffs I have are the large beaver and dice works finale and like I said, way to much gain on tap for my use (in this case the gilmour tone). I like how they sound but damn they are loud as crap!

Well I think I'm going to try and see for myself. I'm looking at a freakshow brown rabbit. The muffs I have are the large beaver and dice works finale and like I said, way to much gain on tap for my use (in this case the gilmour tone). I like how they sound but damn they are loud as crap!

Whaaat? Muff Diver Finale is so good! You really can't get Gilmour-ish out of that?

• Members

the gain doesn't have to be max'd dude

• Members

Definitely has less gain than a muff. It also definitely depends on your guitar/amp. The rat also can act as a completely clean boost with the gain at 0. No grit whatsoever. You can then work up from there into high-med gain territory. I wouldn't say it is a metal monster or anything, especially without anything boosting it.

• Members

Whaaat? Muff Diver Finale is so good! You really can't get Gilmour-ish out of that?

It has a lot of good tones to be had for sure and yes I can get Gilmour sounds no problem. I just see it as a waste if I don't have more control over the volume level. Anything past 1/4 is to loud with either of my muffs.

All my other od/dist pedals I can at least get up to half volume. A few of those being box of rock, ocd, crunchbox, stone bender. I'm a home player using 5-15w tube amps.

• Members

You know looking back over my post maybe I wasn't clear. I'm talking about volume level (volume/gain knob depending on the muff) not the amount of distortion (fuzz/sustain knob). I think some of the repsonses are comparing distortion levels which is not really what I'm concerned with. Thanks for the replies.

• Members

I don't understand the problem then. If it is fine at 1/4 volume, whats the problem? Do you want your distorted sound to be much quieter than your clean sound? What is wrong with leaving it at 1/4 volume?

that's exactly what i'm thinking too.

Archived