Any Roland Synth users on here?

Aaron SS

• Members

Guitar synths are fun to play. I have an old GR-50 that can play 12 sounds on six strings. I use my GR-30 for live gigs. Learn everything you can about your GR-20 because next year Roland will release a Guitar Synth that can play more then 12 sounds on six strings.Yeah! :thu:

• Members

i would say get a dedicated 13 pin. that pickup tracks pretty bad IMO. i found the gr-20's sound cheesy overall. its kind of a dinosaur at this point also.

i dont know much about the vg-99 but thats a newer model. i tried checking out the demo but couldnt deal...... its a boss demo. it may do cool things :idk:

• Members

Heres a vid of my old band about a year ago.On the pedalboard is a GR-33. Contrary to what some might say the tracking is very good with a good setup and clean technique. I agree that most of the sounds are CHEESY but you can make your own. I found that with this band using pads with a slow attack and a long release fit well using only the volume pedal to control the synth in a song.
I sold the GR-33 after we recorded a cd then broke up. [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I have been using a GR-33 for several years in a cover band to do some horn parts, sax solos, organ and string sounds.

When my old GR-33 was going on the fritz I tried a GR-20 but I could not find the same sounds and found the GR-20 to be a step back in functionality. The GR-20 is sort of a stripped down GR-33. I don't know why they made the new model with way fewer features than the previous model. I ended up buying another GR-33 used off e-bay.

BTW the VG-99 is not a guitar synth.

Max

• Members

I've been a Roland GR synth user for a long time - first a GR50, then a GR30, and now a GR33, which is the best guitar synth Roland has made yet. As mentioned above, the GR20 is a stripped down model with less programability, which should be fine for someone just getting into it.

A few thoughts and tips:

- tracking will vary greatly from one patch to another. I usually go through all the sounds and make note of which one's track the best and which one's glitch or misfire easily and don't use them. Then I'll take my favorites that I'm going to use the most and re-write them to the first few banks so they are all together for easy access.

- If you are thinking of shredding on it like Vai or Satriani, you'll probably be disappointed. Some patches will allow you to play faster than others, but that's not the strong point of the synth, and probably why some players get frustrated when they first try them out. I use mine mostly for pads, choirs, and more ambient sounds with a slower attack on them, which minimizes tracking issues. Although there are some sounds I use for leads - in particular a synth flute sound which I can play fast and it tracks really well.

- The height of the synth pickup is important. If it's too far from the strings it will be harder for it to pick up the signal. There are also settings in the synth menus where you can adjust the sensitivity for each string - it may take some tweaking.

It's an amazing tool, but may take some time to get proficient with it. So just take your time, read the manual, and have fun with it.

Archived