Going Rack on my Mixer

Setneuf_r

• Members

hey there

im planning switching from a regular mid size mixer( 10 channels), for my keys (Micro Korg, Nord Electro 2, KOrg M3, M-Audio Axiom61) to a rack mount Mixer

Can you recomend me some ? What mixers do you use for your keyboards ?

thanx for the answers

• Members

+1 for the Ashly LX-308B . . . I replaced the "five rack space" Mackie LM-3204 with the Ashly and noticed an improvement in the overall sound.

I run a Roland Fantom X-6, Yamaha Motif, Hammond XK-1, Alesis Micron, and Korg MicroKorg into the Ashly. I don't use any external FX, EQ, or compression in my live rig.

• Members

I use an Ashly LX-308B that I like better than the Rane.

I like the Ashly as well. The reason I like the Rane a little more is that it has a full stereo-send/stereo-return on it. The build quality is nice and the specs are respectable.

The only one of these 1U line mixers I would steer away from is the Rolls unit, it has a lot of crosstalk and a high noise floor that was troublesome in my studio...

• Members

I prefer the mixers like the Mackie Onyx ( there are others) that bring back an analog character

I use a Macke Onyx 1220 as the front end to my PC, and all my synths run through it - it certainly does impart a certain niceness to the sound.

• Members

I had a couple Rolls (1 used, 1 brand-new) but was always annoyed by the quality of sound I was getting...they were fine at first but after a couple of years started to grate on my ears. When I'd solo a synth in a track that had gone through it, it was easy to tell... :(

Thats just been my experience with them.

• Members

+1 on the Rane SM82. Quiet as a cat (mice don't count, cats can hear them) and pristine audio quality. One of the other nice features is the expand I/O which lets you chain SM82s without consuming an input channel.

As my MIDI system expanded over the years, I added SM82s. I have three in my system now.

Ashly has a good rep too. A buddy of mine has a Peavey line mixer that he likes.

Archived