Getting the warmth out of a Roland Jazz Chorus 120

petejt

• Members

(I thought I'd post this here as well)

The Roland Jazz Chorus 120 is a solid-state amp, and many claim it does not have that warmth. It's touted as the ultra-clean sterile solid-state sound, and nothing else.

Well, n:o:obs, there's a trick to getting warmth out of it :poke:

Use BOTH channels! :cop:

haha lol just stirrin' ;) . Yes you really can get warmth out of this amp, to give depth to the clean tone while still retaining that ringy brightness.

The trick is to split your signal so you can plug into both channels. Use any stereo pedal, and switch it off.

Set Channel 1 quite dark. Set Channel 2 fairly bright, especially with the mids set rather low. You'll be fattening & warming it up by mixing together the Channels with their respective Volume controls. Set both volume controls as equal as possible, and adjust to taste- Channel 1 louder for more warmth, Channel 2 for more brightness.

I made a demo video last night. I plan to record this properly in the future, once I can get some microphones, a new Firewire thingamajig, and another computer.

It helps too if you put a chorus pedal in front of Channel 1, on a very slow Speed.

I used my Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus & Echo.

And of course I embellished it more by chucking in my Deluxe Electric Mistress in front of all of it...

There's annotations containing the settings.

[YOUTUBE]8HCqLRNQW-g[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Catch it on fire? :poke:

Strange, I can smell smoke right now...............

*goes to check if house is on fire*

*comes back* no thank goodness, but there is smoke about on the wind. Kings Park might be on fire again. Hopefully it won't turn into like what happened at Kinglake.....

• Members

Modulation rules ! Maybe just a bit less .

I like my modulation.

It's the Deluxe Electric Mistress that's adding heaps of swirly modulation on top of it.

Otherwise it's just a signal split to a chorus pedal into one channel and straight into the other channel, so there's chorus on both channels. It's sounds great just like that.

Archived