Whammy Tone suck

Raelm

• Members

Hey y'all...

Just recently, I've noticed that when I click my whammy on, I lose a lot of the top end from my signal. I know that there's a little loss of signal just with it being in the loop, but I'm talking specifically about the pedal being on.

It doesn't seem so obvious if I'm using the harmony section, but on the 'boo-eee' bits, it definitely rolls the top end off. I don't remember it always being that way, maybe it has been...I just wondered if anyone or everyone else who has one notices the same thing?

I'm thinking of getting rid of it...I just need to find something to fill the space on my board :)

• Members

Yeah...I know:confused:

It's almost at the end of the chain...with just an Echopark and a sonic stomp after it.

It seems to do the same think no matter whether I use the gain in the amp, or from the floor, earlier in the chain.

D'oh!

• Members

Yeah...the 'boo-eee' bits work great when it's at the front, but if you use the harmony, say 3rds for instance, it all gets a little messy with gain on too, added after the pedal.

Not sure I really know what the effect of a buffer would be. Or what they do TBH...I have a Bad Horsie II at the start of the chain...isn't that a buffery type thing?

I don't really want to use an eq pedal...also, that would mean having to click it in and out whenever I turn the whammy on or off. Unless you mean that I should leave the Whammy on all the time...which I really don't want to do...that just wouldn't be fair to whoever pays the electricity bill at wathever venue I'm playing at:)

• Members

Same here
:thu:
= NO tone suck this way !!!

As I said...Yeah...the 'boo-eee' bits work great when it's at the front, but if you use the harmony, say 3rds for instance, it all gets a little messy with gain on too, added after the pedal.

I think it really needs to be after any gain stage.

Ah well...I guess I just have to live with it then.

• Members

Same here
:thu:
= NO tone suck this way !!!

Not to be a contrarian, but I'm pretty sure all whammys are tone destroyers, regardless of where they are in the signal chain. Mine is very distinctively "always on"-- i.e, when I engage the bypass, the pitchbending effects are defeated, but my signal is still going through the Whammy's AD/DA processor, which is kind of gritty sounding, a little noisy, and actually has a noticeable latency.

I do have an older Whammy, but the problems with mine are different from the bypass problems you can fix with buffers and positions within a chain. The true bypass looper is the only way past it.

Archived