OT: Bass players, question

zygoat

• Members

Bass forum is lame, so...

I hate to sound like a nooblet, but is there any reason why bass strings come from the factory kind of unraveled near the tuners, like so that you can see the core of the string? I'm guessing it's a tension issue. I'm about to restring my bass, the factory strings have been on there for almost 2 years and I'm craving that ringing punchy goodness. Do I need to do something weird to my strings, or just throw them on there like any other guitar?

this is what I'm talking about:

P2260017.jpg

• Members

Yeah, that's my plan. I just realized that every new bass I've seen has that going on at the headstock. sometimes it has like red or black fabric up there. the feck?!

The ones with the red material are probably GHS Bass Boomers. Can't remember who puts the black material on them.

• Members

D'Addario Nickel Wound strings don't have that "tapered" wind at the end of them. I play in a punk band, and like having a nice, punchy rattle to my bass. These strings hold up very well, and i find they look better, too. The E and A string just step down to a smaller diameter and continue with a tight wound pattern, the D and G strings stay the same diameter the whole length. Give 'em a try, and you'll probably never look back.

Archived