Emergency amp simulator?

andreas

• Members

The other day I was at a rehearsal, when my amp started acting up. Instead of that lovely Fender amp tone, all I got was a crackling farting noise, and one of the output tubes glowed bright red... I quickly turned the amp off, and it's now being overhauled - hey, it's 40 years old, so it was probably due :D

The rehearsal was at a studio, so we quickly set up Amplitube and blasted it through the PA, and plowed on. But this got me thinking about putting together some sort of emergency amp simulator kit, that I can simply hook up between the pedalboard and mixer. I have tried this before with a PODxt (setting up a basic Fender Twin sound and running my pedalboard in front of the POD), but it didn't work out that well - the PODxt can sound great on its own, but it isn't exactly pedal-friendly.

I had a quick look at the Boss FDR-1 Deluxe Reverb pedal (as it has reverb sim too, it'd be nice) but it doesn't have any speaker simulation :( I'm currently looking at building the Condor speaker simulator from Runoffgroove, and either using it on its own or added to a FDR-1.

But - to make a long story short - what other units are there, that might do a reasonable Fender amp impersonation, while also handling pedals reasonably well?

• Members

The Tech21 character series is on my list to check out (no reverb, though?). Ideally, it should be small enough to keep in the guitar gigbag or hidden on the pedalboard, so I don't have to decide wether to bring it or not, only to invariably find myself without it when I need it...

• Members

The other day I was at a rehearsal, when my amp started acting up. Instead of that lovely Fender amp tone, all I got was a crackling farting noise, and one of the output tubes glowed bright red... I quickly turned the amp off, and it's now being overhauled - hey, it's 40 years old, so it was probably due
:D

The rehearsal was at a studio, so we quickly set up Amplitube and blasted it through the PA, and plowed on. But this got me thinking about putting together some sort of emergency amp simulator kit, that I can simply hook up between the pedalboard and mixer. I have tried this before with a PODxt (setting up a basic Fender Twin sound and running my pedalboard in front of the POD), but it didn't work out that well - the PODxt can sound great on its own, but it isn't exactly pedal-friendly.

I had a quick look at the Boss FDR-1 Deluxe Reverb pedal (as it has reverb sim too, it'd be nice) but it doesn't have any speaker simulation
:(
I'm currently looking at building the Condor speaker simulator from
Runoffgroove
, and either using it on its own or added to a FDR-1.

But - to make a long story short - what other units are there, that might do a reasonable Fender amp impersonation, while also handling pedals reasonably well?

i've got one of the original Sansamp pedals and think it's really cool; it also takes pedals really well but i still tend to run it with a Palmer PDI-09 speaker sim/DI.

i'd quite like to check out some of the newer Tech 21 character series pedals.

my other recommendation would be an Award-Session JD-10: http://www.award-session.com/jd10.html

you can often get them on ebay for not a lot of money.

again, whenever i've used one i always use a Palmer speaker sim - i don't seem to like built-in speaker sims in anything but really like the way the Palmer sounds.

the JD-10 takes pedals really well and is definitely worth a try.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

my other recommendation would be an Award-Session JD-10:

you can often get them on ebay for not a lot of money.

again, whenever i've used one i always use a Palmer speaker sim - i don't seem to like built-in speaker sims in anything but really like the way the Palmer sounds.

the JD-10 takes pedals really well and is definitely worth a try.

morley did those in the us. i got one near me in a shop. we used it all over the se record too. its hardhitting

• Members

If you're going direct to PA, you should be able to use the reverb from the PA if you need to. A cheap alternative is the Bad Monkey. It has an emulated line out I think. You could also use a Behringer Ultra-G just for the emulation.

Archived