OT: My Dog

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is a Shiba Inu. She's a very different dog. SUPER smart. Very independent. Pretty much everything they say in the books is true. Not the easiest breed but very rewarding.

{censored} Scarlet Theory, If Newarks dog is not well trained then you'd think my dog is wild. Admittedly, I haven't been the strictest trainer but she's got a strong will. I'd be surprised if you haven't had a LOT of experience with Shiba's. They scream for training.

I thought the whole point w/ a Shiba is that they're mellow and don't need a ton of training?

• Members

I thought the whole point w/ a Shiba is that they're mellow and don't need a ton of training?

Nah, Shiba's are essentially mini-akitas. Lotsa wolfie instincts still intact, if thats your thing. Owners need to be strong willed and dominant, typically. I love the breed, myself, but have grown fond of Shelties and Tibetan Mastiffs.

• Members

Nah, Shiba's are essentially mini-akitas. Lotsa wolfie instincts still intact, if thats your thing. Owners need to be strong willed and dominant, typically. I love the breed, myself, but have grown fond of Shelties and Tibetan Mastiffs.

VERY instinctual. My wife is very skittish with her and it's reflected in her behavior. I'm the alpha, and the dog is next. She's a very good dog with a couple of annoying traits like barking at the door when people get off the elevator around the time my wife gets home from work. However she is very affectionate and cuddly. She's REALLY clean. She jumps over puddles and won't walk on anything dirty.

All in all, she's a very good dog. But the instinctual tendencies are strong. Like, despite taking her to the dog run for socialization EVERY day till she was 3, she's not good with other dogs.

A quarky funny breed.

• Members
Bbreaker, you're dogs loook amazing!

Thanks.
When we had Katie and Jake, we thought about having a side business of Malamute breeders. After seeing how hard it was on Katie with her first litter of 11 pups, we decided against it. Her health and quality of life were more important.

Here's a pic of 2 of the 11 pups.

malamutepuppies.jpg

• Members
Cats FTW!

If man could sleep as comfortable as a cat, the world would be a much more peaceful place.

sdc13356.jpg

I'm just foolin'... I like dogs. Other peoples dogs though, I wouldn't want one myself.

i dont like cats cuz they only care if you feed them, plus, they wont run behind you, catch a freesbee, etc

Archived